• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Birds in Cumbria (2 Viewers)

Haweswater 29th

Had a run to Hawsewater and was surprised that the Swallows were there, due to the weather we have had. The target bird was the Golden Eagle of course but sad to say it did not show,but there were birds to be seen and in song. on the way a pair of House Martins flew over the car later we stopped to locate Green Woodpeckers as two were in full voice, the birds in the woods were also in full song Nuthatch, Willow Warbler, Chiffchaff,Mistle and Song Thrush and Blackbird, only one Wood Warbler heard, could not find any Pied Flycatcher but were fortunate to find a male Redstart, Wheatear were in good numbers but only found one Ring Ouzel, one very dark Buzzard flew overhead,we had a very cheeky Chaffinch that invited itself to lunch.
Ian

Attachments

• 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    52.1 KB · Views: 125
I am visiting the area at the weekend and was hoping someone had some info about the location of the small group of Emperor geese on Walney Island as I would like to check them out while I am there.

Thanks

Mark

I am visiting the area at the weekend and was hoping someone had some info about the location of the small group of Emperor geese on Walney Island as I would like to check them out while I am there.

Thanks

Mark

Hi Mark,

Hope you are well. I volunteer at South Walney Island Nature Reserve one weekend per month sometimes two. I was due to be there this weekend coming but due to a recent family bereavment will not be there. I'll be back there in July.

The Emporer Geese tend to move about on the reserve. I have seen them from the Cental Marsh Hide, out on the spit and near the oyster farm. On one occassion I saw them amongst the gulls along with Barnacle geese between the Sea Hide and and Light House close to footpath.

When you arrive ask the warden or volunteer if they have seen them about. The maximum number I have seen this year is 7 together and on most occassions 3 together. There may be more. I once had three walk out in front of me on a track just down from car park area.

They originated on Peel Island and were part of a private collection. They are great to watch and superb when in flight.

They have had many people consult their Collins fieldguide only to find that they are not in it !! Had me doing that when I first saw them a while ago now :eek!:

Make sure you are wearing a protective cap with padding as you are likely to get dive bombed by Lesser Black Backed Gulls from the huge colony there who will see you as a threat to their young. The Eider colony is interesting to watch as well.

You should spend a whole day there and take it all in. Great all year round location for bird watching. A good number of quality hides and a feeling of remoteness. Take your flask and sandwiches. Good place for sea watching.

There is always something to see on Walney and always bird movement. Great at high tide as well. It is a large reserve with different habitats. Interesting locaton for wild flowers, butterflies and moths.

You might want to visit the Foulney Island Reserve nearby while you are there.

Hope this is helpful. PM me if you need any more info.

Dean

Last edited:
Many Thanks for the information we will probably spend most of Sunday there, I will report back on this thread what we see

Thanks

Mark

Despite the terrible weather on Sunday we still visited, a great reserve will visit again when the weather is better. The gulls were excellent and were not too aggressive. Managed to see one Emperor goose my main target near the oyster farm. There are large numbers of eider there.

Again thanks for the info

Mark

There has been a Pectoral Sandpiper at Port Carlisle for the last two days, it is only seen on the rising or falling tide with c1000 Dunlin, 500 Redshank and a few other waders including Greenshank as the high water brings the birds nearer the shore.

cheers Nick

Sadly this thread seems to get little use, heres one more try to keep it going.
Moulting Summer plumage Pacific Golden Plover was found on the River Wampool early this week, it was still present with the large golden Plover flock opposite Anthorn this afternoon. Also around were Ruff, 3 Greenshank and Peregrine, with 2 Ospreys seen earlier in the day.

cheers Nick

Good views of the moulting adult PGP yesterday afternoon when we finally located it; good to meet you Nick hope you enjoyed the bird despite it being your 20th in the UK ;)

Amazed how few birders on site considering the rarity of the bird- awesome area obviously very underwatched!

D

The moulting adult Pacific Golden Plover still present at Anthorn this morning. Also a couple of Ruff and a juvenile Osprey (which successfully caught a fish)!

Good to meet you too Dan, that was in Cumbria not the UK ;), good luck in your attempt to see 600 species in Britain this year.
The Pacific golden Plover was present with big golden Plover flock up the Wampool this morning until flushed by a Raptor when the flock dispersed and the main group flew west. also 5 juv Ruff present.
Also reported from Anthorn by various people today, Little Egret, Osprey, 10 Greenshank and Peregrine.

cheers Nick

Anthorn

Sightings this morning were Osprey, Greenshank, Little Egret,Ruff, Lapwing, Redshank, Golden Plover and a female Peregrine hunting the Lapwing and Golden Plover.
I moved on to Campfield scrape 2 Blackwits and lots of Teal the tide was a long way out by then any birds were too far away and it was too cool to try the Gravel pits for Butterflies and Dragonflies.
Ian

A seawatch between 1345 and 1530hrs from Workington Harbour (south) produced the following:

7 Arctic Skuas
2 Pomarine Skuas
4 Storm Petrels
325+ Manx Shearwaters
7 Fulmar

Can anyone offer more info on 'Jockey Shield'. Sems to get regular run of birds including Icterine Warbler last week. That's a great inland record from up there. Alos see it's had ringo and black grouse in the past.

I think Black Grouse and Ring Ousel are still relatively numerous in that part of the world (Geltsdale). Not too far away from there I had Black Grouse run across the road in front of me at Hartshorne Top.

Stephen.

No sign of Pacific golden Plover at Anthorn this evening with only c100 goldies present.
2 Ospreys showed very well in the channel of the Wampool with both catching fish eventually. One ate its catch on the saltmarsh but was harrassed by a Raven the other flew north with its catch.
Also 7 Greenshank, Ruff and Whimbrel.

cheers Nick

Solway

At Anthorn were 300+ Golden Plover and 1 Knot no sign of the Pacific GP moved on to the scrape at Campfield 1 Spotted Redshank 2 Blackwits and lots of Teal and Snipe then to the Railings for well over a thousand Dunlin and Ringed Plover with a few Turnstone and Sanderling among them, a juv Med Gull was on the mud,in the bay to the right of the seat was a Little Gull.Talked to Ronnie he had videod two Osprey at Anthorn one eating a fish on the mud he also had seen 2 Little Egret at Port Carlisle.
Then went to the Gravel pits but the path was muddy the tractor wheels had made it messy but there were 5 Wall Butterfly a few Comma butterfly and large Whites, A common Hawker Dragonfly patrolled the path and a number of Common Darter were seen.
Ian

No rarities,as such,but a couple of 100 Swallows and House Martins circling and skimming the lagoon for flies and flying ants.Also several Swifts,oh,yes and a couple of bats.

Marsh Harrier present at Bassenthwaite on 1/9/08-seen the same bird there three times over the last month or so a female. Similar time last year saw them on a couple of occasions including two on one afternoon- though have never seen a male. Is there any chance of a potential success story there? would be a great addition to the areas more famous residents.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back