• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Talkin Tarn (1 Viewer)

HelenB

Opus Editor and Expat from Cumbria
Opus Editor
As a Cumbrian expat, I wanted to ask if Talkin Tarn is considered a "birding hotspot" by the Cumbrian birding community? I've visited a few times while I've been back to see relatives in Penrith and I always keep bird lists for all the places we visit. The last time I visited was in 2005.

Here in the States, there is an online database called eBird which is now accepting lists from the whole world - used to be just N. America when it first got started 10 years ago. I've already uploaded historical lists for Haweswater, St Bees Head, Leighton Moss, Smardale NNR, etc, but as Talkin Tarn is not an RSPB reserve or NNR, I would have to suggest it as a hotspot worth going to.

Thanks in advance for any input.

Last edited:
I think it is somewhere in the middle Helen. It has a very good track record for Smew, and I think it is fairly well watched in winter.

Stephen

I think it is somewhere in the middle Helen. It has a very good track record for Smew, and I think it is fairly well watched in winter.

Stephen

Thanks, Stephen.

I read something on a Carlisle City Council website about the boathouse being converted into a bird watching facility, plus lots of renovations to the car park, tearoom, etc, since they took over the area in 2006. Another website mentioned a bird observatory (hide?) on the east side of the tarn, so I'll go ahead and recommend it as a bird watching spot.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back