• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

RFI: Sightings at Cat Tien in Mar 11 (1 Viewer)

ljs

Hi All,

I will be visiting Cat Tien National Park in Vietnam from 2-5 Apr 11 and would appreciate if anyone could share with me the whereabouts/GPS location to find the following resident and wintering birds:

Resident Birds
1) Bar-Bellied Pitta
2) Blue-Rumped Pitta
3) Germain's Peacock Pheasant
4) Orange-Necked Partridge
5) Laughingthrushes

Wintering Birds
1) Robins
2) Rockthrushes
3) Firethroat
4) Bluethroat

Additionally, any information on the trails/Mar 11 trip sightings would be much appreciated.

Please feel free to email the information to my email, [email protected].

Thanks in advance for any help. :D

Jia Sheng, Lau

I know that there are a few with Vietnam knowledge around - you might try reposting this on the Vietnam board - some will be more likely to notice there. The board is at the bottom of this page.

Bar-bellied Pitta and Germain's Peackock Pheasant can both be seen on the trail down to Crocodile Lake. We used the services of Doyen, one of Cat Tien's guides who was excellent and booked the Jeep for journeys along the road. (Cat Tien is only accessed by boat across the river) If you are interested you can view my web site below for a short trip report here from June 22-26th 2010.

http://www.freewebs.com/suebryan/suesdiary2010janjune.htm

An early February report from a few years ago is at post 72 on this linked page http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=100901&page=3 of a long trip report.

Agree with Sue that the trail to crocodile lake was good for BB Pitta and the Peacock-Pheasant. Worth staying overnight at crocodile lake if you can. You don't really need a guide for most of the birds, but having said that we didn't see Orange-necked Partridge! Have fun, it's an amazing place, especially the Green Peafowl.

Thanks Gretchen, Sue and Larry for your information.

Richard has helped me to arrange an overnight stay at Crocodile Lake. However, I am short of information to advise me on the birds to look out for at dawn. Now, I just hope that the warblers would be in the mood to reveal themselves...

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back