• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Longhorn sp. (1 Viewer)

rob lee

I would be interested to know what people think of this, i`m pretty certain as to what it is but would welcome informed opinion. Thanks

Attachments

• IMG_5508-1.JPG
    IMG_5508-1.JPG
    143.1 KB · Views: 66
Hi Brian,
Thanks for the reply. I was hoping that someone was going to say croesella, because thats what i thought it was. Drawing on my admittedly limited experience i thought that it didnt look the right colour for degeerella & the antennae were to short. Oh well. I`ve attached a picture of a degeerella that i took recently,which looks pretty much like every one i`ve ever seen. Perhaps they`re more variable than i thought.

Attachments

• Nemaphora degeerella.JPG
    Nemaphora degeerella.JPG
    177.9 KB · Views: 40
I'll admit I don't have any experience of Adela croesella but it didn't seem to be a good fit for the images of males (and it's clearly a male) I can see online. I agree there is a distinct difference between your first image and all the degeerella I've ever seen. More help needed!

What size?
There is no size overlap between 2 species, with croesella much smaller. So if you're used to seeing degeerella and this one was much smaller then its croesella.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back