• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

How far south are the waxwings? (1 Viewer)

madmike

I'm wondering (again) how far south the waxwings are now!
Have any been seen in - Dorset, Wiltshire, Berkshire, Surrey, Hampshire or Sussex?

Also, a moral question - if you see a rare or unusual bird in your area (or anywhere) what's the general feeling about letting everyone know?

MM

As far as south Devon goes a couple Waxwings a while ago ( early November ? ) at Wembury ( nr Plymouth) 3 at Chagford, Dartmoor a few days ago and one at West Charleton nr. Kingsbridge yesterday - hopefully lots more to come.
As for the second loaded question no one has to tell anyone when they find something rare. Personally if lucky enough to find something good i would always want others to see it if they wished. Having said that for a number of reasons that is not always possible and i think nowadays a lot of places where there would have been no problem a few years ago would struggle to cope with a big number of people now.

Waxwings seen today in Hants, Berks, Sussex and Wilts. In fact, there's not many counties where Waxwings haven't been seen this Winter.

I've always put news out when I've found something half decent but sometimes there's a problem with accessibility to an area or if a bird is on private land.

Been reported in Sussex yesterday; Chichester and Rye, both coastal..........still waiting for them on my inland patch! (She says hopefully!)

Thanks very much for all the replies so far - I'm sure I'm not the only person interested in the waxwings!!!
Keep the info coming please, and if I hear anything I'll let you'all know!

Thanks again.

MM

Found 1, then another 3, on Wick this morning - fantastic! Probably was the top of my "most wanted for the patch" list.

I've got the weekend to myself and I want to find the liddel devils. Where in norfolk/suffolk are they? The last report I found was for november.

Thanks Mark - was this Wick the one in Scotland or is there a Wick near Bournemouth!?

MM

Sorry Mike, I knew where I meant, but forgot about the rather larger Wick oop north! See link in footer for more details on the South Coast version.

I'm wondering (again) how far south the waxwings are now!
Have any been seen in - Dorset, Wiltshire, Berkshire, Surrey, Hampshire or Sussex?

Also, a moral question - if you see a rare or unusual bird in your area (or anywhere) what's the general feeling about letting everyone know?

MM

Well they are in Kent, which is pretty southern, though it isn't mentioned in your list.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back