• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Birding in Greenland (1 Viewer)

MikeB.

In my Landie, under a tree
Hi,

I've just moved to south Greenland, and can anyone tell me what are the best books / references for birding, plus any other info about wildlife? There are some big eagles here but i don't recognise them, yet.

It's just coming out of winter here, -23C today, and not much birdlife, no trees either (!), and looking forward to warmer weather.

Much appreciated and thanks!!

Mike

Hi,

I've just moved to south Greenland, and can anyone tell me what are the best books / references for birding, plus any other info about wildlife? There are some big eagles here but i don't recognise them, yet.

It's just coming out of winter here, -23C today, and not much birdlife, no trees either (!), and looking forward to warmer weather.

Much appreciated and thanks!!

Mike

Hi Mike

I have a bit of a "thing" about Greenland, even though I've only been once. To be honest the birdlife in Greenland isn't prolific; it's the stunning landscapes, the unparalleled sense of wilderness and the local culture (esp. on the East coast and in the NW - if only I were a millionaire and could afford to visit that region) which are the main attractions for me.
Where are you based in the south, Nanortalik, Qaqortoq, Narsaq?
Identifying your eagles is easy, they are White-tailed Eagles. If you see any large white falcons they will be Gyr Falcons and any smaller darker falcons in spring and summer will be Peregrines - there's not much to choose from!

As for wildlife guides then Benny Gensbøl's Greenland Wildlife Guide is very useful to give you an idea of the range of birds and mammals but the Collins Bird Guide is a much better ID reference - there's nothing in Greenland that isn't in Collins. Gensbøl's book can be expensive by the way. Also available is Richard Sale's Complete Guide to Arctic Wildlife which has some good text, some inexplicable howlers, some absolutely third-rate photos but all in all gives a quite good overview of the region's wildlife.

Some basic info on Greenlandic birds can be found here;
http://www.natur.gl/index.php?id=38&L=3

E

Hi Mike

I have a bit of a "thing" about Greenland, even though I've only been once. To be honest the birdlife in Greenland isn't prolific; it's the stunning landscapes, the unparalleled sense of wilderness and the local culture (esp. on the East coast and in the NW - if only I were a millionaire and could afford to visit that region) which are the main attractions for me.
Where are you based in the south, Nanortalik, Qaqortoq, Narsaq?
Identifying your eagles is easy, they are White-tailed Eagles. If you see any large white falcons they will be Gyr Falcons and any smaller darker falcons in spring and summer will be Peregrines - there's not much to choose from!

As for wildlife guides then Benny Gensbøl's Greenland Wildlife Guide is very useful to give you an idea of the range of birds and mammals but the Collins Bird Guide is a much better ID reference - there's nothing in Greenland that isn't in Collins. Gensbøl's book can be expensive by the way. Also available is Richard Sale's Complete Guide to Arctic Wildlife which has some good text, some inexplicable howlers, some absolutely third-rate photos but all in all gives a quite good overview of the region's wildlife.

Some basic info on Greenlandic birds can be found here;
http://www.natur.gl/index.php?id=38&L=3

E
Thanks Edward for your detailed reply. I agree with all your comments and love the rugged scenery, but as you say neither wildlife nor birdlife is prolific, and only one natural forest remains in the south east: hopefully see that in the summer. I have just returned from Uummannaq, and apart from the usual ravens, not much else in the frozen north.

It is a special place and a privilege to be here. Hope to do some good photography in the coming months when I get some more free time. Flocks and flocks of eider on the sea around Narsarsuaq last week.
I'll be sure to look up the books you mention. Let me know when you are in the region!

Many thanks and your pointers much appreciated.

Mike

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back