• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Bristol and surround, any good ideas (1 Viewer)

njlarsen

Gallery Moderator
Opus Editor
Supporter
Barbados
I will be in Bristol about 17-20th of May. I am not sure how much time I will have, but what should I do if I get time? I will have a vehicle during the time.

thanks
Niels

Hi
Severn Estuary,Chew Valley Lakes ( you will need a permit for part of it,but that includes Blagdon Lake)Shapwick and Mear Heath,Ham wall,Catcott Lows.Uphill NR,
Brean Down and Berrow,Sandbay Point.
If you google any of these it should give you information about how to get there and what you might see.

Stranger's right. At this time of year I'd go for Shapwick Heath, Meare Heath, Ham Wall, Catcott Lows, Westhay Moor; these places are all in the same area of Somerset. Chew Valley and Blagdon Lakes are nearer Bristol but this isn't the best time of year (now wait for the locals to disagree).

I have just spent the morning at Shapwick and saw The Green winged teal on the second lagoon,Plenty of Hobbies about at the moment and also 3 Ruff and a large flock of Dunlin,
Otter gave brief views at Noah`s Hide.

Thanks a bunch, that is a place to start; I will need some time to look at all these places ;)

Anyone with further info, I would be much obliged.

I have also tried to think what I potentially could get in England that would be new for me, and countable Mandarins would be good for me. Are they around in Bristol?

Thanks
Niels

I don`t know of any places in or around Bristol for Mandarins.
Cannop ponds in the Forest of Dean is about an hours drive away and is a reliable place for them

Just had another thought.because it is the breeding season the Mandarins may have dispersed to their breeding grounds.
I usually visit Cannop in the winter and have always seen them then.

Hmmm, I thought I had answered this one yesterday, but must have been the bad internet I experienced:

Anyway, thanks a bunch. I have had Mandarin in Denmark, but they obviously originated in the zoo next door, and were not countable, so therefore the question.

If any other nice tidbit comes up, please let me know!

thanks
Niels

If it helps I saw four Mandarins late yesterday - first lake three males [looked to be just reaching maturity suggesting they'd been from a nest on site - no other released wildfowl but Great Crested Grebe and Tufted Duck present] - very nervous and swam away as I walked 100m from them and at a second lake a single female on a secluded woodland pool which took flight immediately I approached [and I thought I was walking quietly having just got within 50m of two Roe Deer! The first lake was at Heneage Court just North of J14 M5 and the second just about 900m SE of the first below a hotel called Tortworth Court - about 17 miles north of Bristol. Public footpaths provide views of both. Unless anyone more local can argue otherwise I'd regard these as countable?

Since no-ones jumped to Chew Valley Lake's defence yet, I reckon as it's only about 8 miles from Bristol it's probably well worth a visit, at this time of year too.

Any more thoughts on other species you might be looking for? If you do end up going to Canoop ponds for the Mandarins there may be other woodland birds in forest of Dean nearby of interest, eg Hawfinch and Pied Flycatcher, with gen from the locals.

Have fun in Briz anyway :t:

PS. what ya doing ticking Mandarins in Europe anyway, do the right thing and see 'em in China ;)

Last edited:
There's a good site for Nightjar at Stock Hill near Priddy, in the Mendip Hills a few miles south of Chew Valley Lake. Not sure if you might be slightly too early though.

Thank you!

PS. what ya doing ticking Mandarins in Europe anyway, do the right thing and see 'em in China

Well, I live in the Caribbean, and does not have any plans for going to China, so the UK is next best thing ;) I asked somewhere else if there was a chance of seeing Barn Owl somewhere close to Bristol, that is a bird I would really like to see/hear.

Keep them coming, it is next week I will be in the Bristol area.
cheers
Niels

Thank you!

Well, I live in the Caribbean, and does not have any plans for going to China, so the UK is next best thing ;) I asked somewhere else if there was a chance of seeing Barn Owl somewhere close to Bristol, that is a bird I would really like to see/hear.

Keep them coming, it is next week I will be in the Bristol area.
cheers
Niels

Barn Owl was fairly reliable up to at least a year and a half ago at Portbury wharf just south of Portishead, which is maybe 10miles from Bristol. Probably still is reliable site, but I haven't been in the UK. Best to get better directions, but from memory:

Come off M5 junction at Gordano Service Station. Take road to Portishead. After c2km take right turn to Sheepway near overhead walkway. Continue for c1-2km then take narrow lane on right (has sign but can't remember road name!! ( maybe either Marsh Lane or Wharf Lane?). Continue till gate after c500m and park. Walk along track for c1km to sea wall. Either turn right, walk c200m and view field inland over back of pond, or sometimes Barn Owl comes right over ponds. Also possible to see the owl by abandoned buildings near where you park, by climbing over gate to right and exploring. Little Owl also present.

Area can be good generally for birds, and always has Rock Pipit, Cetti's Warbler, Shelduck etc. Maybe some migrants if you're lucky. There's even been a Ring-necked Duck there off and on for years, but I guess the Tufted Ducks will probably interest you more! Wish I could be there to show you the site as writing about it's making me homesick!

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back