• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Goldfinches (1 Viewer)

pstraughan

I only have very small numbers of Goldfinches in my garden - usually only two - so I was delighted to see an adult feeding a juvenile with sunflower hearts from my feeder this morning. The juvenile was shivering its wings to attract attention and the adult was stuffing it with seeds at a rate of knots.

This is only the second time that I have seen a juvenile Goldfinch. I suspected, and hoped, that there was a nest somewhere as I had been down to one bird for a couple of weeks. Nice to be proved right and a lovely start to a dreary morning.

All of my other birds seem to be feeding independently now. Any other dependent birds still about?

Pat

morning Pat, it's dreary here too, I'm in Dover. I'm wandering about the house wondering if I should risk putting the washing out. The magpies are ever so noisy out there, I can hardly hear Wogan! Anyway, I saw some baby chaffinches being fed yesterday aftenoon, mostly though this year's broods are feeding themselves. There have been lots of great tits and bluetits on the feeders which has pleased me no end because the council cut down a scrubby hedgerow back in the spring and the great tits went away. The nest box on the sycamore remained empty, but we put that down to the squirrels using the tree to get to the garden. We've had lots of baby jays, infact I think we've had two broods this year, and some young jackdaws. Anyway, let's hope the day brightens up, and we can get the washing out!
Happy days
Rose.

Hi Pat,

Yes, had a young Sparrow being fed earlier last week and, of course, I still have second brood House Martins in the nest. Everything else seems to be independent now, including two Robins, which is a definite plus for me.

Hope that your weather has brightened up now, hate to tell you, but it's a glorious summer's day down here.....;)

This thread is making me grouchy :C ;) o:)

1. We never get goldfinches round here.

2. It is cold (15c) and wet here.

Herumph! :-O

Hi Pat,
Half and half;) I have a young sparrow who's eating from the feeders but at the same time trying its luck with the shiver shiver, feed me feed me bit..lol.

Best Wishes

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back