• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

What are some top British, Irish and German bird field guides? (1 Viewer)

Punchy71

Greetings,

I was wanting to see about possibly borrowing from the library and looking through several of the top bird field guides used in Britain, Ireland and Germany, preferably with illustrations of birds showing habitat clues.
Example: Some of the guides in North America show illustrations of birds with habitat 'clues' illustrated along with the species pictures. Other field guides just strictly show the birds only with no habitat either at the feet of the birds or in the background.
For bird field guides, I greatly prefer paintings over photographs.
What are some titles that I should look for?

Thank you

I think your question may be better answered in a different forum. In the Multimedia forum, there is a section specifically on guide books and which are the best by region. Good luck!

The best field guide for all of Europe is The Collins Bird Guide by L Svensson, K Mullarney and D Zetterstrom. It mentions habitat but doesn't illustrate it too much. I have not seen or heard of a better field guide. There are small and large format versions.

Cheers

Roy

And an app of course if you have an iphone or ipad. The collins guide is the best field guide I've ever seen for any region, or any group of animals.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back