• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Norway & Spitsbergen June/July 2013 - with a marine mammal twist. (1 Viewer)

KRS1

Hi all,

Back in June/July I was lucky enough to form part of a team undertaking a marine mammal survey of the Norwegian coast and the west coast of Spitsbergen on a Saga cruise ship. Before I left, I searched and searched for any accounts, info or trip reports from ‘normal’ cruises visiting the region to give an idea of whether the area’s specials are difficult to see outside of wildlife tours, but turned up absolutely zero useful information. There’s a wealth of information from wildlife-specific tour companies, obviously, but extremely little on what may and may not be seen from one of the many other cruises that visit the west coast of this Arctic wonderland. So, I’ve produced this report to hopefully give others some idea of what can be achieved on one of the many ‘other’ cruises to Svalbard, and to give an idea of where to be most vigilant if you do choose to grab yourself one of the many bargain voyages on offer.

So, with a firm list of targets in hand, and a heavy dose of reality ensuring there’d be no disappointment if we didn’t jam in on the key beasts, I set off on what was to be one of the best trips of my life thus far.

I don’t have a lot of free time right now, so I don’t think I’m going to do a typical BirdForum trip report and lay it out in posts, as much as I’d like to, but I’ll just give a link to my report as a PDF so you can browse and keep if you want. It’s fairly long (c.34 pages) with lots of photos so may load slowly.
http://lislegwynn.com/trip-reports/norway-spitsbergen-2013/

In summary though, we did unbelievably well, and the numbers speak for themselves:
- Cetaceans: 473 individuals, of 13 species, including 3 ‘lifers’
- Pinnipeds: 50 individuals, of 7 species, including 5 ‘lifers’
- Polar Bear: 1 sighting, of 1 individual. Obviously, a ‘lifer’
- Terrestrial mammal: 4 species, including 3 ‘lifers’
- Bird: 105 species, including 3 ‘lifers’

The highlights were many, but enigmatic beasts like Polar Bear, Atlantic Walrus, Hooded Seal, Harp Seal, Bearded Seal, Blue Whale, Beluga, Orca, Ivory Gull, drake King Eider, and of course breeding plumage Grey Phalarope really set the standard high. The supporting cast was hardly shabby, with breaching Sperm Whale, 40+ Humpback Whales (!!!), 6 Sei Whale, Atlantic White-sided Dolphin, European Elk (a birthday tick, I might add), Brunnich’s Guillemot, and of course the dozens of adult Long-tailed Skuas. A very brief Fea’s-type Petrel off of Stavanger, Norway, was also exciting; as was a very dark and interesting Fulmar off of Spitsbergen.

The sight of 20+ Blue Whales drifting past the ship over the course of an hour and a few miles, and hearing them breathe deeply in the mist will live with me for a long time; a real life highlight. I never really expected to get Walrus or Polar Bear – we weren’t going close to any big Walrus haul outs, nor were we going to the pack ice for bears, so getting both was a thrilling surprise. Both were just a combination of luck and hard work over long hours I guess, either way it was ample reward for 18 hours on deck each day.

So, if you can find a bargain last-minute cruise north (some were going for c.£700 in July!), it may give great rewards. From what I can tell, I suspect the wildlife-specific tours go inside of Prins Karls Forland, though I may be wrong. This could explain why few tours seem to encounter the incredible number and diversity of cetaceans we witnessed just west of this island. Else, it could be the higher vantage point afforded by the larger ship. If the former is the case, a cheap(er) last-minute bargain cruise to Spitsbergen from Southampton or Dover could be an excellent way to experience what has to be some of the best cetacean watching on the planet.

Any questions, queries or further info wanted, feel free to drop me a PM or email, otherwise enjoy and I hope it’s of use to some.

Cheers,

Lisle

Thanks for posting

Great report and it makes me want to spend longer up there.

Not sure you are right about Nature cruises going inside Prins Karls Forlander as we went outside on MS Expedition. We were told it was not navigable due to tides when we went around and that was on a reasonable small (100 passenger ship).

Great report and it makes me want to spend longer up there.

Not sure you are right about Nature cruises going inside Prins Karls Forlander as we went outside on MS Expedition. We were told it was not navigable due to tides when we went around and that was on a reasonable small (100 passenger ship).

Thanks. I think I could easily spend most of a year up there exploring - so much still to be found - especially offshore.

I've seen at least a couple of reports that have been inside PKF, so perhaps it's not the norm but do-able if the ships small enough and/or tides are right. I suspect it's the bridge height and distance offshore that saw us jam in on the cetacean frenzy then, our ship wasn't huge but it was by no means small.

Thanks folks!

Larry, we finally made it, though it was touch & go with seemingly every other ship in the fleet breaking down and being stuck in Norway and not making it to Spitsbergen. Hope all's well!

Great read Lisle. Two questions, first, how can I swing getting on one of these trips to participate in the survey? Or if that isn't feasible, is there a particular cheapo cruise line that you would recommend for a similar trip where the demographic caters to a slightly younger crowd? I'm assuming someone in their mid 30s wouldn't be able to book on a Saga run trip.

Great read Lisle. Two questions, first, how can I swing getting on one of these trips to participate in the survey? Or if that isn't feasible, is there a particular cheapo cruise line that you would recommend for a similar trip where the demographic caters to a slightly younger crowd? I'm assuming someone in their mid 30s wouldn't be able to book on a Saga run trip.

Hi Jo, thanks!

As I understand it, the surveys on the Saga ships are slowing down now to just a couple each year, and Svalbard was a one off destination - I can send you some info on getting involved and possibly getting on one of next year's cruises though if you want - though getting on the cruises is more difficult than it perhaps should be in any case.

With regards to doing it cheaply and young-ly (I was by FAR the youngest on board at 24), the best bet is probably to keep an eye on last minute cruise offers in travel agent windows, or online. I saw an advert in a travel agent window in Hythe, Hampshire for a last minute cruise following the exact same route as my trip, 2 weeks earlier than ours, with P&O at £699 all inclusive - a damn good bargain! Speculatively, the Solent-side location may or may not have had any baring on that offer? Either way, a quick search of google for cheap last minute cruise offers should deliver.

Having only 3 or 4 days along Spitsbergen isn't ideal - but as I've shown, the specialities are possible, and you also stand a good chance of Orca around Norway, the bull Sperm Whale congregation north of Norway, and big Blues and insane numbers of Humpbacks north of Norway - so worth a gamble in my opinion!

Cheers,

L

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back