• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Busy house sparrow's (1 Viewer)

pauco

Старлин&
Well it was a lovely sight to see this evening, 8 juv house sparrow's being fed by both parent's talk about feed-me feed-me!! these little fella's were chasing mum & dad all over the garden. It's the 1st time i have ever seen a juv take a dust bath or attempt it!! it was a patch just under the hedge were the soil had gone dry, both adults kept trying to bathe in the bird bath, but no such luck junior's were after more food. up to now it seems to be a good year for the house sparrow. i hope they can keep it up.
bert.:t:

I've been watching my fledgling sparrows today - as you say very demanding on their parents in terms of food - "feed me", "no me", ... "listen, you're supposed to be learning how to feed yourselves".
And trying to show junior how to take a bath. Parent and junior on the rim of the bird bath, parent jumps in energetic beating of wings, water flying everywhere. Junior very reluctant to follow suit; dips in beak, then a bit more of head, but won't fully take the plunge. Parent gives up. One or two of the youngsters preferring a dust bath in the flower border.
Several youngsters perching on the trees, like a high diver on a diving board very nervous about taking a leap downwards. It's much easier to fly from the ground up to the tree than the other way round.
Lots of fluffing up of new feathers, a bit of preening, some bits of down still sticking out, looking a bit scruffy.
All very lovely to see, doesn't seem to be any shortage of sparrows around here (south Manchester).

Alan Hill

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back