• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

An invasion of siskins (1 Viewer)

Elizabeth Bigg

Addicted member
A few days ago, I mentioned that the siskins were ignoring the red mesh bag of peanuts I had bought specially for them, and were enjoying the niger seed instead. They have obviously told their friends, because today I had eight of them on the two hanging feeders, the seed tray below and the ground underneath. My concern is that there might now be quarrels with the goldfinches, and I am thinking of adding another large niger feeder to the pole.

Last edited:
Hi Elizabeth,

You're lucky.... we used to have Siskins visit our old house when we lived in Caterham - but not since we moved to Sanderstead.

Send some of them up my way......

I had one or two at the most for a few weeks and a couple of days ago there was a minimum of five all of a sudden. Must be the cold weather.

Elizabeth
If you don't mind me recommending a feeder i would say visit
www.jacobijayne.com

They seem to have one of the largest Niger feeder available. I have just ordered this recently and it has 4 levels of feeding as well as a good reserve of food at the top end.

The section is called bird lovers feeder. I find some of the other feeders are too small and you are forever filling them up.
PS Very envious of your Siskins. not had any this year which is quite sad really. I have them down as the commandos of small birds!!

Sleeper said:
Elizabeth
If you don't mind me recommending a feeder i would say visit
www.jacobijayne.com

They seem to have one of the largest Niger feeder available. I have just ordered this recently and it has 4 levels of feeding as well as a good reserve of food at the top end.

The section is called bird lovers feeder. I find some of the other feeders are too small and you are forever filling them up.
PS Very envious of your Siskins. not had any this year which is quite sad really. I have them down as the commandos of small birds!!

Don't mind at all, thanks Sleeper - I've just assembled my collection of 5 catalogues, so I'll have a look in theirs - but there is a limit to the size I can use, because it has to hang above the squirrel baffle on my (fairly) new feeder pole.

BTW - in previous years we've only had a couple of siskins, occasionally - it seems to be the niger seed that is bringing them in this year.

I'm really envious of your siskins. Not only don't I ever get them in the garden but I haven't even seen one for nearly a year. We haven't any reported any where near to us either so I think that if I see one it will be more than likely a chance encounter as one flies past my face.

Hi Elizabeth
I have had my pair of siskins here now since Saturday. They aren't touching the niger though, nothing is as usual! I bought a red net bag and hung it in the bush outside the kitchen window, and the male appeared the next day. So I thought, ha, they've been around all the time, just waiting for the right bag! In the same bush is a red plastic feeder and a green plastic feeder, but the pair have been eating from all of them, so doesn't seem to make any difference at all!

Hi Elizabeth, Still not had any Siskins but more to the point most birds seem to have disappeared. My next door neighbours did the RSPB survey in January (we were away) and logged one Blackbird and one Starling, all I have seen for the last couple of weeks is a pair of Blackbirds, where have all the Tits, Finches, Doves and Sparrows gone.

Hi Elizabeth, We've had a bit of a Siskin invasion as well in the last few days. We have had a male and female visiting all winter but, on Monday, I counted 10 birds. Luckily, I had the new camera to hand..... Our's seem to be going for the hard red nut feeders at present.

Since the snow Siskins have returned to our feeders in good numbers -my wife counted 11 yesterday including a cracking male who has been around since last friday. They're even giving the Goldfinches grief at the Niger feeders. ;)

First Siskin of the season has just arrived on the peanuts!
Only had Green and Goldfinches so far. The Siskins seem a lot tamer than the other finches, I might even have a go with the camera.. usually it scatters everything within a mile radius, but the Siskins might be less camera shy.
Watch this space.

I don't have a very bird-friendly garden unfortunately, so can't report any for that, but I did see the biggest flock I've ever seen of them (200+!!!) at Lynford arboretum last Saturday!
A sight that will probably stay with me for a loooong time!

Cheers

Gerry Hooper said:
First Siskin of the season has just arrived on the peanuts!
Only had Green and Goldfinches so far. The Siskins seem a lot tamer than the other finches, I might even have a go with the camera.. usually it scatters everything within a mile radius, but the Siskins might be less camera shy.
Watch this space.

We had 14 siskins on the feeders this morning - when I went out to replenish them a great cloud of siskins and goldfinches fled to the trees. When I went out a little later with the rest of the birds' food, a solitary siskin let me get within a couple of yards before she flew off

Hope that worked.
I was lucky enough to catch a flock of sheep migrating across the field in the background!

Attachments

• Siskin no.png
    Siskin no.png
    591.4 KB · Views: 170
You must have them all!! I haven't seen one this year, although I did spot a couple just when the weather turned bad last autumn, but not one appeared when the snow fell, and now it's too mild for them here, last three days temps 16C 15C 15.5C, not really surprising no go on the feeders! The birds are busy nest building here, and with all the fallen twigs and stuff from the gales lashing the area, spring is most definately sprung.I have flowers galore on the camellias today, none yesterday.

Siskin number reached 19 some time after I had filled the feeders.

I'm wondering if they will stay here for long - I've always thought they were winter-only birds, but according to my Birdguides CDrom, there are parts of the UK where they are present throughout the year.

Elizabeth

It would be great to think that you may have a flock that could stay for breeding. What trees do you have locally? It seems they nest in coniferous plantations.

I bet you are really pleased to have such a great flock in the garden. BTW i have always found the Siskin to be very tough considering its small size. It generally takes over any feeder which it chooses to feed from.

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back