• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Various small passerines: Ulcinj saltpans, Montenegro (30 Nov) (1 Viewer)

General Melchett

About 35 miles behind the front line
Supporter
A few more ids needed please ...

1. Female Siskin?
2. Corn bunting?
3. Black redstart
4. Stonechat (the pale stripe above the eye is confusing me ... could this be a young male?)

Thanks for any help.

Richard

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    142 KB · Views: 102
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    102.3 KB · Views: 111
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    171 KB · Views: 92
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    230 KB · Views: 87
corn bunting looks ok - can't see any white sides to the tail and the tertial pattern doesn't fit reed.

Thanks Sean, Alan & Nick. Please excuse my ignorance but could you tell me what pointers make #1 serin rather than siskin from that angle (sorry, it's not the best photo!)? Not questioning the id in any way, just lacking experience!

Thanks again.

Nick is right on the bunting.

I should have paid more attention to the facial pattern..lacks dark moustachial of a Reed, the mantle is rather plain with limited streaking suggesting Corn, the rump is slightly streaked - pro Corn, overall coloration is more straw-colored..as well as the tertials & tail being wrong for Reed as Nick says.

Sean

Thanks Sean, Alan & Nick. Please excuse my ignorance but could you tell me what pointers make #1 serin rather than siskin from that angle (sorry, it's not the best photo!)? Not questioning the id in any way, just lacking experience!

Thanks again.

Siskin has relatively long and very pointed bill. Serin has nice stubby bill as your bird.

I guess
1. Serin. I think Richard is right to say is a Serin. Siskin has more pointed bill and also more white on its belly
2. Corn Bunting. It is clearly a heavy bird, it doesn't seem so slight as Reed Bunting (tail should be longer)
3. Black Redstart
4. Stonechat

I've been twice in Montenegro. Great country and wonderful places to have nice birding!!

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back