• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Produced in 1969, better than today's equivalents! (1 Viewer)

Muratfaik

Hi Everyone,

I did a new test of a lens and wanted to share with you. This is the Canon 300mm 5.6 FL-F Fluorite lens. It is produced in 1969. It is only 168mm (folded at infinity) and 195 mm (extended at 4m) in length and 850 g in weight. These measurements are real measurements after I converted it to Nikon. Very compact very lightweight very high quality lens and together with Showtime adapter it is very useful for videoscoping. But it has one drawback: the focusing mechanism is very hard and it causes some shaking problems when you try focusing. When we talk about the optical quality of this lens, it is easily comparable with Leica Apo Elmarit 180mm 2.8 which I also have. This high optical quality mostly comes from two pure fluorite crystal that are used in this lens. As far as I remember, Canon never use two crystals together in a tele lens again. These fluorite glasses have also made this lens apochromaticaly corrected. My videscoping set up with this lens gives me 3780mm (App. 76X) telephoto effect. You can see the real life samples of this lens here:

http://vimeo.com/28403862

Best wishes.

Murat F. Özçelik

Attachments

• 300mm 5.6 fluorite.jpg
    300mm 5.6 fluorite.jpg
    82.2 KB · Views: 130
  • 300mm 5.6 fluorite2.jpg
    300mm 5.6 fluorite2.jpg
    76.3 KB · Views: 100
  • canon 300mm 5.6 Fl-F.jpg
    canon 300mm 5.6 Fl-F.jpg
    113.2 KB · Views: 152
  • canon 300mm 5.6 Fl-F2.jpg
    canon 300mm 5.6 Fl-F2.jpg
    66.4 KB · Views: 95
Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back