• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

GM1...for birds (1 Viewer)

Nafews

Hello,
first post from an avid lurker.
I usually photograph birds using a D300+ 80-400 AFD, or a Fuji XS-1 (+TC). Perched birds mostly, due to AF-limitations.
After buying a GM1+ 20 mm for general photography I quickly realized that the sensor is far more capable than the one in my D300. So I wanted to try the GM1 for birds, too.
Two problems: Missing reach and missing viewfinder.
While there is a rather straightforward solution (getting a GX7 + Pana100-300) I was keen to try something a little less expensive...so I bought a display loupe, a Panasonic 45-175 and put my old Canon TC-DC52B on it.
Setting: a local park in mid-Germany, with a small river in the middle. The birds are thankfully not too shy, so all taken from distances between 3 to 10 meters.
All photos are cropped and some sharpening/contrast has been applied.

Attachments

• Blackbird.jpg
    Blackbird.jpg
    262.6 KB · Views: 85
  • ChiffChaff.jpg
    ChiffChaff.jpg
    122.6 KB · Views: 72
  • Nuthatch.jpg
    Nuthatch.jpg
    83.5 KB · Views: 114
  • Tufted_Ducks.jpg
    Tufted_Ducks.jpg
    234 KB · Views: 77
  • Wren.jpg
    Wren.jpg
    136.5 KB · Views: 129
The Setup

Here are some pictures of the setup.

So how does it compare?
The effective reach is about 90% 'pixel on the bird' of the D300+80-400 combo. The handling of the Nikon (or the Fuji) is far superior - no surprise there.
Picture quality is a bit worse than the D300 combo but sufficient for my purposes (web display or small prints). Better than the XS1, though...
AF: close to the D300+80-400 AFD.

And the verdict (for me!) is: what a fun setup! Light, almost silent, AF and picture quality close to my 'heavy gear'. And very portable when disassembled.

Thanks for looking!

Attachments

• Parts.jpg
    Parts.jpg
    206.7 KB · Views: 106
  • Combined.jpg
    Combined.jpg
    69.6 KB · Views: 105
  • Comparison.jpg
    Comparison.jpg
    151.5 KB · Views: 102
and some more....

again, 100% crops, slight p&p.

I'm wondering: would a Panasonic 100-300 give better results?

Nafews

Attachments

• Redstart.jpg
    Redstart.jpg
    46.3 KB · Views: 64
  • Black_Redstart.jpg
    Black_Redstart.jpg
    155.2 KB · Views: 54
  • House_Sparrow.jpg
    House_Sparrow.jpg
    73.6 KB · Views: 58
  • Tree_Sparrow.jpg
    Tree_Sparrow.jpg
    226.3 KB · Views: 69
  • Linnet.jpg
    Linnet.jpg
    101.3 KB · Views: 99
From what I've researched the 100-300 is soft at 300 so I'm not sure about it . I'm waiting for 300 prime ! 45-175 is sharp as you can see in my m43 thread . I may try your extender though.

again, 100% crops, slight p&p.

I'm wondering: would a Panasonic 100-300 give better results?

Nafews

As Capdegat has mentioned the 100-300 is soft at 300 but it will still give you better sharpness than your present set up. No offense intended but your crops lack sharpness and some of the detail is lost. I've used the 100-300 for over three years on the GH1 and now the GH3. I too am waiting for a better lens on par with the quality of the X series 12-35 but so far there is nothing at the 300 range without sacrificing weight, size and auto focus.

Olympus is planning a 75-300 for 2015. If it's a good lens Ill probably switch at that point.

Hope this helps and again no offense intended.

Paul
Adds and upgrades to photo life list; http://paultavares.smugmug.com/Wildlife/Birds/AU14/

Last edited:
Hello Paul,

thanks for chiming in, absolutely no offense taken.

My GM1 setup gives good results for my purposes, but your impressive galery certainly shows one can do better with a GH3 + 100-300.

I attach some 'comparison' shots, taken with Fuji Superzooms and a Nikon D300+ 80-400 AFD.
In general I'd say the GM1+Tele+TC picture quality is somewhat better than the Fujis, but the Nikon beats them. The GM1 is just very convenient to carry and use, so I am more likely to take it with me...

Regarding the new Olympus lens, do you mean by any chance the 300/f4? I thought a 75-300 already exists.
But combined with a Panasonic body (except GX7) neither would have stabilisation - not sure that'll work for me.

Les and Sjerp, thanks for your contributions.

Regards,
Nafews

Attachments

• Blackbird_FujiHS25.jpg
    Blackbird_FujiHS25.jpg
    139.6 KB · Views: 41
  • Buzzard_FujiXS1_.jpg
    Buzzard_FujiXS1_.jpg
    80 KB · Views: 51
  • Crane_FujiXS1+TC.jpg
    Crane_FujiXS1+TC.jpg
    220.7 KB · Views: 46
  • Willow_Tit_NikonD300.jpg
    Willow_Tit_NikonD300.jpg
    214.8 KB · Views: 52
Regarding the new Olympus lens, do you mean by any chance the 300/f4? I thought a 75-300 already exists.
But combined with a Panasonic body (except GX7) neither would have stabilisation - not sure that'll work for me.

Les and Sjerp, thanks for your contributions.

Regards,
Nafews

Yes I meant the 300 prime although I thought it was a new zoom that was coming. Thanks for the clarification.

This is just a suggestion based on my experience. I started my photo life list when I got my first digital camera in 2003, a 2 MP Panasonic FZ1. I was thrilled with the results. I then progressively migrated every 3 to 4 years to the FZ30, the GH1 and now the GH3. I'll pass on the GH4. The FZ1 and FZ30 pictures looked great on a laptop and desktop with 1024x768 resolution but now on a 1920x1080 they do not look that good. But some of them are are still on my life list because I haven't managed a better shot and in some cases another opportunity may never present itself again.

Back then, the only better solutions were heavy and cumbersome DSLR's and the big heavy lenses. Now there are more solutions to achieve better quality. All this to say that although the quality of the images suits your purposes for now, your expectations may increase in the future and you may miss a few once in a lifetime experiences in the interim.

It really depends on how you see your interest evolving with time.

Thanks for the compliment on my gallery. I still have a lot to learn.

Paul

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back