• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Bresser Everest (ED) 8x42 (1 Viewer)

Somehow I missed the earlier comment about my stinky feet. How did you guys know? Did Stet tell you?

;)

Brock,

Thank you for bestowing such an hour. King of the Inexpensive Unit it is. Just don't use that phrase when you speak to my intended. She might mistake your meaning.

Glad I was able to find another diamond in the rough. I think it is my calling. ;)

The honor isn't just for an "hour," that's a lifetime guaranteed diploma. ;)

Well, as long as you didn't give your "intended" a "diamond in the buff" (cubic zirconia), I don't think she will mind you pinching pennies elsewhere.

Since your calling is to find the best products at the best prices, usually from China, you should apply for a job as a purchaser with Walmart. Longer birding season in Arkansas, but you will have to watch out for falling birds.

http://www.ndtv.com/article/world/blackbirds-fall-dead-from-the-sky-in-arkansas-again-162602

Brock

I would respectfully ask you gentlemen to leave your anti-Chinese sentiment elsewhere. If you don't enjoy their performance then there are plenty of other threads to participate in.
It has absolutely nothing to do with being "anti-Chinese". I'm quite impressed the Chinese have improved their quality year after year. What I find interesting is the excitement on BF every time a "new" model arrives on scene...right up to the point we see the same (or nearly identical) model show up with another brand's label. In other words, some of the "designs" being touted on BF appear to be neither original or the work of a committed optics company. Most appear to be rebranded, off-the shelf, customized stock.

The real question is what happens to all the distributors when the Chinese figure out how to sell directly to the consumer.

PS
The Bresser appears to be Chinese-made, not German.

John,

My apologies if I mistook your intentions. I understand where you are coming from. The Bresser is very likely just another flavor of a model originally introduced to us in the form of the Alpen Wings ED and Celestron Granite. My excitement stems from the fact that this design can now be had for as little as $215.

...and my earlier comment about German-origins was said more "tongue in cheek".

Last edited:
"The Bresser appears to be Chinese-made, not German."

What makes you think they are Chinese besides price? They look German made to me. Like the High-End Minox HG's that are made in Germany.

Last edited:
That Everest looks pretty short. As I understand it, ED glass and short focal lengths are not necessarily compatible. Or is that binocular longer in person than it looks from your photo?

Since your calling is to find the best products at the best prices, usually from China, you should apply for a job as a purchaser with Walmart. Longer birding season in Arkansas, but you will have to watch out for falling birds.

http://www.ndtv.com/article/world/blackbirds-fall-dead-from-the-sky-in-arkansas-again-162602

Brock

Didn't they blame that on Hydraulic Fracking in the area and the resultant earthquakes?

http://planetsave.com/2011/01/07/mass-bird-deaths-fish-deaths-caused-hydraulic-fracking-earthquakes/

Look for this to come to Central Pennsylvania! :eek!:

Bob

That Everest looks pretty short. As I understand it, ED glass and short focal lengths are not necessarily compatible. Or is that binocular longer in person than it looks from your photo?

5.5 inches in length Steve. As I mentioned in the original post CA control inside the sweetspot is good but moderate outside of it.

Frank:

How does the Dresser compare to the Bushnell 8x42 Legend Ultra HD ?

Lots of buzz some time ago, but these are also in the same price area.

Jerry

Had the Bresser's out birding this morning and I was really impressed how they did in low light. Very sharp on-axis and they maintain nice contrast at low light levels. I could see every detail on the bird that I see with my SE's. The ergonomics and the size is really nice. Zen Rays were always too long for me. These things fit my hands like an EL. I am dumbfounded at the quality of these things. The quality level is more like a Zeiss or Leica Ultravid than a Chinese binocular. If these are made in China then the big three better watch out.

Although I have been away from the forum for awhile, it is gratifying to see that many things never change.

Frank
You are right in that these seems to mirror the size and specs of the Alpen Wings ED's and Celestron Granites that I had. Upon first glance at the pic Vanguard Endeavor ED ran thru my mind before Wings and Granite even though the Endeavor is a little longer and has a narrower FOV.

From your review, they seem optically and mechanically similar to the Wings/ Granites but at a much cheaper price point. I had the 8x42 Wings ED and both the Wings and Granite 10x42's. The 10x42's were not near as good as the 8x42, but I got rid of them all since they were no better than a good sample of a Legend Ultra HD, which was a lot cheaper then.

Once the activity of "That which must not be named" started last fall, I pretty much gave up my optical analysis hobby (althought I bought 3 or 4 new pairs), and started putting them to some serious and prolonged use.;)

Although I have been away from the forum for awhile, it is gratifying to see that many things never change.

Frank
You are right in that these seems to mirror the size and specs of the Alpen Wings ED's and Celestron Granites that I had. Upon first glance at the pic Vanguard Endeavor ED ran thru my mind before Wings and Granite even though the Endeavor is a little longer and has a narrower FOV.

From your review, they seem optically and mechanically similar to the Wings/ Granites but at a much cheaper price point. I had the 8x42 Wings ED and both the Wings and Granite 10x42's. The 10x42's were not near as good as the 8x42, but I got rid of them all since they were no better than a good sample of a Legend Ultra HD, which was a lot cheaper then.

Once the activity of "That which must not be named" started last fall, I pretty much gave up my optical analysis hobby (althought I bought 3 or 4 new pairs), and started putting them to some serious and prolonged use.;)
I guarantee you the Dresser's are way better than the Granites. I just compared the two directly. They are NOT similar optically. The Dresser's are comparable in sweet spot size and edge sharpness to my Swaroski Habicht's 8x30. The Habicht's are a little sharper on axis but not much and the Habicht's will smoke any alpha roof I have seen. Ask Steve.

the Habicht's will smoke any alpha roof I have seen. Ask Steve.

Yes and no.
In their sweet spot yes, maybe, thanks to the 3D effect and indeed very sharp image. This has to be clearly verified, the Swarovision is as good as the Habicht, or perhaps 95-99% the same.
Regarding edge sharpness, the Habicht is destroyed by almost all alpha roofs.
If you take the Edg, their edges are sharp to more than 95%.
In this skill, the Habicht is good to about 70-75%, which is not that great.
You know that i'm a porro fan Dennis, but in some areas, roofs are so much improved nowadays that they can beat porros with certain features.
It makes me think that the Conquest HDs (here they are at the same price than the Habichts) are underrated in terms of alpha view. The 8x42 is superb, the difference with the FL is so small...

ThruNite, a high end Chinese flashlight company did just that this last winter. Without any notice, they started selling lights direct from China at a much lower price than their dealers were advertising them at.

The real question is what happens to all the distributors when the Chinese figure out how to sell directly to the consumer.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back