• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

My daily Visitor! (1 Viewer)

boxer95

Feeling Flighty
Hello I am new to birding and I LOVE it. I just moved into a house in the woods of Western North Carolina. we have tons and tons of great birds visiting our yard, and we are able to recognize them with the hlep of our new bird book.

I have this cute little brown bird that comes up to my deck every morning and afternoon for fresh peanuts and water. he is a small bird with a very large thin beak and a small br ;) own body. he has a beatiful song he sings but only in the morning... he hops up, gets his peanut a drink of water and hops away. we never see him fly for he hops down off the deck. he is adorable and we can't identify him. He looks a bit like a nuthatch with his beak but he is solid brown.... he is VERY sweet and comes every day now!!

Hello, from slightly South of your position. I just recently started birding myself and have found that identification of unknown birds can be quite difficult. I had a bird similar to what you are describing and have come to the conclusion that it was a carolina wren. The bird I see usually lands on a pole that has a birdbath on it sings its little heart out. I've found that the bird database here at BirdForum is very helpful in identifying birds in my yard if I have my laptop nearby. I'm sure you'll make a positive ID soon... Good Luck!!

Does he have a little white streak above his eye? Does his singing seem impossibly loud for his size? That would be a Carolina Wren.

THANK YOU. Yes he is a carolina wren. I saw him in my book but his beak didn't look long in the picture so I didn't think that was what he was. I checked him out in line and heard his song, and that's him. what a cute bird!

I see they like Peanut Butter, that's my kinda bird :bounce:

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back