• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Biggest WOW binoculars you have ever looked through? (1 Viewer)

The Swaro EL 8.5x42 when it first came out... no bin has wowed me as much as this one, period; including later releases of the EL (SV & field pro).

CG

Dennis,

Now that you have a second sample of the Canon, can you say anything (based on memory, of course) about any differences between your first sample and this current one? Also, since you probably bought this one second-hand, do you know how recent it is, i.e. what is the serial number.

Kimmo

Most recent "big wow" was through the Leica Noctivid 8x42. Very immersive, realistic image and great handling.

Dennis,

Now that you have a second sample of the Canon, can you say anything (based on memory, of course) about any differences between your first sample and this current one? Also, since you probably bought this one second-hand, do you know how recent it is, i.e. what is the serial number.

Kimmo
No, I don't notice any difference in this Canon 10x42 IS-L. The ergonomics are weird on the Canon but with the IS system they will blow anything away in the weeds for detail including the big SV. I keep coming back to them because there is really nothing outside of the 10x50 SV that comes close to the optics. The Canon beats the big SV in glare control also. S/N 87700290. I bought them on Ebay for $900.00 and they are like new.

Most wow still goes to my former Kowa 8.5x44. The microcontrast, which I believe resulted from the exceptional control of CA and glare, was to this day the best I've seen. Since I've been using 10x lately I've been looking at the 10.5x44 Genesis...

No, I don't notice any difference in this Canon 10x42 IS-L. The ergonomics are weird on the Canon but with the IS system they will blow anything away in the weeds for detail including the big SV. I keep coming back to them because there is really nothing outside of the 10x50 SV that comes close to the optics. The Canon beats the big SV in glare control also. S/N 87700290. I bought them on Ebay for $900.00 and they are like new.

How are they when panning?

How are they when panning?
The Canon 10x42 IS-L pans nice with no RB type effects at all. Optically very close to the SV's and better at glare control and it is nice sometimes to have a rock steady view especially when you want to see detail. They are almost as sharp at the edges as the 10x50 SV also. They are a good bargain for the price.

The Swaro EL 8.5x42 when it first came out... no bin has wowed me as much as this one, period; including later releases of the EL (SV & field pro).

CG

Same for me. Prior to the EL, I used a Nikon 8x40 Classic Eagle with its wonderfully flat field, and then a Zeiss 7x42 BGATP with its wonderful brightness, contrast, and FOV. The EL gave me the best of both worlds--a big flat sweet spot with high contrast and brightness--_and_ at the same time showed everything bigger (slightly higher magnification) and with a larger apparent FOV, and I loved the handling. The view through the original EL made the view through some other supposedly top-end bins of the time seem like a joke (e.g. the B&L 8x42 Elite waterproof version, which Steve Ingraham touted in BVD).

Actually, I still love those bins, and I don't see that they are plagued by CA, about which others complain (Perhaps that was more a problem for the later, faster focus version? I see tons of CA in other bins, so lack of CA sensitivity is not the explanation). Nor do I find the contrast lacking. The color rendition seems very neutral at first glance, but certain red tones are missing on closer scrutiny. But that is a minor quibble. The main reason that I now use the SV version rather than the original EL is simply for its faster focus.

--AP

The Canon 10x42 IS-L pans nice with no RB type effects at all. Optically very close to the SV's and better at glare control and it is nice sometimes to have a rock steady view especially when you want to see detail. They are almost as sharp at the edges as the 10x50 SV also. They are a good bargain for the price.
During panning, does it retain a stable image or is there shimmer as the stabilizer adjusts? This used to be a problem with IS bins.

During panning, does it retain a stable image or is there shimmer as the stabilizer adjusts? This used to be a problem with IS bins.
Pileatus. I just tried the Canon 10x42 IS-L's at panning in my back yard. They pan quite well and I see no shimmer as the IS adjusts. Also, I see absolutely no RB. It is without a doubt an advantage when you are trying to discern detail to have the steady view of the Canon. For example, if I try to read distant house addresses with the 10x50 SV the constant shake makes it difficult. I pop the Canon's up and the rock solid image makes it easy.

The 10x42L does indeed "shimmer" when panning. This is not a problem -- it is just something that they do. One just has to decide whether or not they want to put up with it.

The 10x42 Canon would not be a good choice for a situation where you have to constantly change focus, such as chasing warblers through the canopy at fairly short ranges. Otherwise, they are an amazing binocular......

I'll throw in a vote for the big Zeiss 15x60 BGAT (a mint late model)

With elbows braced on a table or on a tripod, these things offer up a massive and usually overwhelming dose of pure eye candy. I find the view to be so massive and immersive that it will often induce vertigo...a feeling like I'm standing on the very edge of a spectacular cliff - and I'm about to get sucked over the edge. Truly Incredible binoculars.

The 10x42L does indeed "shimmer" when panning. This is not a problem -- it is just something that they do. One just has to decide whether or not they want to put up with it.

The 10x42 Canon would not be a good choice for a situation where you have to constantly change focus, such as chasing warblers through the canopy at fairly short ranges. Otherwise, they are an amazing binocular......
I am sorry but I don't see any "shimmer" in the Canon 10x42 IS-L's when panning. They pan just like any high quality binocular without RB. I am not sure if any 10x would be the best choice for chasing warblers through canopy at fairly short range but I think the Canon's would perform , as well as, any 10x and in fact probably better because you would have a rock steady image and you could differentiate the warbler from the foliage easier because you can see more detail with them when you are steady.Your resolution is probably 30 to 40 % higher with the IS than a normal 10x. They also have a reasonably quick focus.

I'll throw in a vote for the big Zeiss 15x60 BGAT (a mint late model)

With elbows braced on a table or on a tripod, these things offer up a massive and usually overwhelming dose of pure eye candy. I find the view to be so massive and immersive that it will often induce vertigo...a feeling like I'm standing on the very edge of a spectacular cliff - and I'm about to get sucked over the edge. Truly Incredible binoculars.
I really think the WOW factor is closely correlated to the aperture size. Bigger apertures create more WOW. I feel the higher magnification and big AFOV creates the WOW factor also.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back