• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Tripod, monopod, no-pod survey. (1 Viewer)

lvn600

Here are my questions:
1)What percentage of time do you use the following when photographing birds?: a)tripod b)monopod c)hands only.
2)Under what circumstances do you use each of the above methods?
3)Please give an example of a photo using each of the 3 methods.(if you have time to do so.)
--thank you.

Last edited:
1. 100% tripod. Monopod good for dog attacks.
2. When I want sharp pics with a 600mm.
3. No such thing as an 'average' photo-sorry

Hi,

If I'm out and about I use a tripod 100% of the time, I use a 500 mm lens.

If I'm in a hide, I use a tripod if I'm the only person in the hide. But as soon as other people come in, I take the tripod down, because of the space it takes up and I switch to hand holding. So I would say, I hand hold for 99% of the time in a hide.

I have a monopod but don't use it.

Dave

Personally I use a tripod the vast majority of the time, as I mainly use a Sigma 500 f4.5 lens which I find a bit much to hand hold for any length of time. The only other support I regularly use is a beanbag, I use this for all the shots I take from my car and also for quick shots when I don't have time to set up the tripod. The only time I ever handhold is when it is impractical to set up a tripod and there is nothing to rest the beanbag on (it doesn't happen often).

Here are shots taken each way - the song thrush is hand held, the curlew using a beanbag rested on the car window and the little grebe was taken on the tripod.

Attachments

• songthrush150306a-handheld.jpg
    songthrush150306a-handheld.jpg
    49.9 KB · Views: 176
  • curlew290306g-beanbag.jpg
    curlew290306g-beanbag.jpg
    72.2 KB · Views: 204
  • littlegrebe150306h-tripod.jpg
    littlegrebe150306h-tripod.jpg
    58.8 KB · Views: 169
1. tripod - rarely
2. monopod - rarely
3. handheld almost all the time, usually supported on car window etc. A VR lens is a great thing, even at 600mm
For pictures: see my gallery - all hand held

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back