• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

my new pet -- golden silk spider (1 Viewer)

jestercat0827

I like buggery
Hi to all who like spider pictures,
I have a new "pet" outside! She's pretty big, 3 or 4 inches long. From looking around online I've been able to (I think) classify her as Nephila clavipes -- the golden silk spider, or "banana spider." I've read that the females of these types of spiders live 27 days past their final molt so I'm thinking she might not be around that much longer, since she's been this size for a while now |:(| In any case, I've posted her pics for her memorialization. I live in the Big Bend area of the Florida panhandle (USA) and I assume these spiders are common around here since we always seem to have a few webs going on at once in our new yard. I told my fiance he's not allowed to take this web down (spiders in general, and this one in particular, make him really jumpy). She had the zipper in her web for a while and I learned that's to keep the birds out, so I told him "do not disturb!"

Attachments

• spider1 006 resize.jpg
    spider1 006 resize.jpg
    32.2 KB · Views: 167
  • spider1 012 resize.jpg
    spider1 012 resize.jpg
    34.3 KB · Views: 162
Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back