• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Joint Thread (2 Viewers)

Dave, you should be ashamed of yourself having hidden this talent from us all for so long! Superb stuff, and keep them coming!

certainly captured the stance and movement of the curlews, really good stuff Dave, another field sketcher I'm jealous of.

certainly captured the stance and movement of the curlews, really good stuff Dave, another field sketcher I'm jealous of.

Thanks to one and all for your kind comments.

Here's a story behind the sapling and scenery sketches. On both occasions a local guy wandered out to see what I was up to, putting all the birds to flight. These were what I did while waiting for the birds to come back! A bit frustrating, but an occupational hazard in many parts of the world I suspect!

Dryslwyn, I also hate trying to put all the markings on waders - it can kind of take over and destroy the light and shade effects. Despite the fact that waders are my favourite birds, I find passerines much easier to sketch!

Nick, not so much hidden, just kept in storage most of the time!

Thanks again

dave

Eurasian Curlew and House Swift

Had a go at adding some watercolour paint to yesterday's sketches - the curlew and another one of a House Swift which I did after I got back home.

I'd be interested to see photos of what everyone uses as their 'field kit' in the way of paints, brushes, waterpot etc, since that will be my next project.

Thanks

Dave

Attachments

• sketch2b Bagan Belat.jpg
    sketch2b Bagan Belat.jpg
    53.6 KB · Views: 110
  • sketch3a Bumbung Lima.jpg
    sketch3a Bumbung Lima.jpg
    63.6 KB · Views: 115
Had a go at adding some watercolour paint to yesterday's sketches - the curlew and another one of a House Swift which I did after I got back home.

I'd be interested to see photos of what everyone uses as their 'field kit' in the way of paints, brushes, waterpot etc, since that will be my next project.

Thanks

Dave

These are great,both of them. The swift is a great success and the background water is really well done.... well done.

...with regard to field kits I would say a few tubes of watercolour and three brushes is all you need along with the pencils. Dont generally bring colour into the field a lot personally but when i do thats all i carry. Usually a half inch square brush and a No.4 and No.6 rund brush along with Titatium White, Neuatral Tint, Primary Red, Cadium Yellow and Ultramarine Blue and Burnt Umber. A bottle of water, cloth and portable tray to mix colour in, sometimes a few paper plates instead.
Generally all I have is a black biro or two and a pencil.

Excellent watercolours, my field kit (when I can be bothered to lug it around - ie if the birding's going to be good) is - the largest sketchbook that's practical, pencils, pencil sharpener, maybe a few pencil crayons, a white wax crayon, tubes of watercolour (including ready mixed greens - not time to faff or waste blue paint), a palstic pallette, a jar, and a bottle of water. When I can, I like to take the maximum with me, but often just go out with a few pencils and maybe some crayons.

oh, and BULLDOG CLIPS! Otherwise you'll watch your sketchbook pages blow away one by one - luckily they weren't pages I'd used!

Excellent watercolours, my field kit (when I can be bothered to lug it around - ie if the birding's going to be good) is - the largest sketchbook that's practical, pencils, pencil sharpener, maybe a few pencil crayons, a white wax crayon, tubes of watercolour (including ready mixed greens - not time to faff or waste blue paint), a palstic pallette, a jar, and a bottle of water. When I can, I like to take the maximum with me, but often just go out with a few pencils and maybe some crayons.

oh, and BULLDOG CLIPS! Otherwise you'll watch your sketchbook pages blow away one by one - luckily they weren't pages I'd used!

Forgot to mention the watercolour pad;)

Can be a handy addition!

Field Gear

Wonderful work Dave - the colour has indeed added an extra dimension to the fieldwork (which was excellent to begin with).
Hmm - field sketching gear. There may be an article in a well-known publication coming out rather soon - I'll see if I can locate it when, and if, it does ;)

Attachments

• FieldGear800.jpg
    FieldGear800.jpg
    271.5 KB · Views: 138
Gentlemen - you'll note the bottle of neat vodka masquerading as dilutant for watercolour paint and the bowl of freshly squeezed lemonjuice for that certain time of day.
Mr Derry, sir - when you get to be the great age I have attained - your knees will no longer bend to the mud - in fact, if like mine, they won't bend at all!
Mr Dalton -I'm saddened to be the butt of your cruel joking. The 'tube' is in fact my electronic pace-maker / G.I.S. satellite receiver for SkySports (essential when in the field and the Mighty United are also playing) / Teasmaid. Never know when ya may get a bit parched after a particularly heavy spell of 'sketching'.

It's not so much a case of knees bending to the mud at the moment, rather the mud comes all the way up to the knees.

After that entertaining break its back to the serious stuff;)

I'm taking some folks advice and starting one bird at a time and trying to get to know it - shouldn't take too long to get thr them all|=\|

First up its the swan because I have a good chance of seeing some on our river.Started with some very quick sketches from my photos (first 3 images) and realized that I couldn't see much form so had another go.

I am not at all sure of the shape of the wings. Can anyone post anything to help or anything of their own.

Promise to get out in the very wet field asap.

Attachments

• Image1.jpg
    Image1.jpg
    37.7 KB · Views: 84
  • Image3.jpg
    Image3.jpg
    65.8 KB · Views: 87
  • Image2.jpg
    Image2.jpg
    65.4 KB · Views: 88
  • image4.jpg
    image4.jpg
    25.4 KB · Views: 87
  • image5.jpg
    image5.jpg
    27.1 KB · Views: 90
Bit more work - think I can do the head without a ref finally |^|

Attachments

• image6.jpg
    image6.jpg
    20.6 KB · Views: 93
  • image7.jpg
    image7.jpg
    27.3 KB · Views: 95
looks like getting to know your subject is paying off, I can't see any problems with the wings, and at the moment most swans are flightless as they moult their primaries, so will have gaps in their wings. You've got the curviness to a 't'

Love the first two small drawings Wendy. They have an intimate beauty which really tugs my heart-strings (almost like well-loved storybook illustrations - and that's a compliment!). Great stuff - love it.

Trying to understand how birds fold their flipping wings. Very rough sketches from google images (invaluable). Am I right ish?
Next lot of sketches will be from our local wetlands centre. If I'm boring you folks I quite understand - hyperfocusing on wings at the moment:flyaway:

Attachments

• swan wings.jpg
    swan wings.jpg
    34.1 KB · Views: 91
  • swans wings2.jpg
    swans wings2.jpg
    28.5 KB · Views: 102
  • swans wings3.jpg
    swans wings3.jpg
    22 KB · Views: 89
Last edited:
you're doing well getting the wing formula, one thing I used to do to learn was to look in a field guide of, say a bird with its wing open, then try to draw itclosed and vice versa, so as to try to understand how the wing functions.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back