• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Joint Thread (1 Viewer)

Had another go at a Lesser Sand Plover today. This is a sketch with watercolour added, scanned into the computer and then finished off with the pen and tablet.

Think I'm gradually getting the hang of the pen and tablet and enjoy the freedom it gives, as it's well nigh impossible to 'spoil' a picture, and I can tinker away to my heart's content without fear of 'overcooking' it.

Of course I realize the purists will mutter 'But is it art?' , but I don't mind - it's fun!

That plover looks absolutely great- and a big thumbs up for the method. I've promised myself a big splooshy marshscape hand-coloured and then scanned in to be finished, when the Nod project is done (could be this weekend).

Last edited:
That plover looks absolutely great- and a big thumbs up for the method. I've promised myself a big splooshy marshscape hand-coloured and then scanned in to be finished, when the Nod project is done (could be this weekend).

I agree, great little watercolour, you got the foot coming forward beautifully, really well captured.
Cant take your eye off this thread for long or it just fills up with a ton of great work!

looks like art to me, Dave - true art. Excellent blend of trad and mod techniques.

Thanks for your kind comments, and I look forward to your splooshy marshscape Ed!

In the meantime, another bird from last weekend - perhaps one of the pair I sketched panicking the Little Terns. These White-bellied Sea Eagles are more or less a fixture at the place I watch waders, but always great to see.

Attachments

• wbse1 copy.jpg
    wbse1 copy.jpg
    53.4 KB · Views: 120
In the meantime, another bird from last weekend - perhaps one of the pair I sketched panicking the Little Terns. These White-bellied Sea Eagles are more or less a fixture at the place I watch waders, but always great to see.

This is stunning!

Easy to imagine their strong powerful flight motion from this picture, not many of those around these parts;)

Matt

Matt has it right - stunning work Dave - you have the tone and colour just perfectly on the bird (what size is the original?) - lovely work.
Super group of finches Arthur - looks like you're getting back into the swing pretty quickly - good stuff.

More excellent work from everyone, it's getting hard to catch up with this thread after a little absence!

Inspired by Alan's Curlew Sandpipers, I sketched one which I saw today.

Curlew Sands have always been a favourite of mine, ever since coming across a flock at Walberswick as a keen teenager with Ed K one September. They were so tame we could almost lift the wings to check they had white rumps! I remember being much more interested in them than the Buff-breasted Sandpiper that was also present, much to the chagrin of the 'serious' birders present, who muttered threats about throwing us into the marsh!

Attachments

• Curlew Sandpiper.jpg
    Curlew Sandpiper.jpg
    98.4 KB · Views: 137
A beautiful study Dave -of the very highest quality. I love the way you render these silver watery backgrounds- brilliantly understated and so 'right'. Time you had your own thread, young man.
By the way - any exhibiting plans afoot?

A bl**dy great study of it too! They really are one of the best waders. Just wish they'd visit upland France!

Curlew Sands have always been a favourite of mine, ever since coming across a flock at Walberswick as a keen teenager with Ed K one September. They were so tame we could almost lift the wings to check they had white rumps! I remember being much more interested in them than the Buff-breasted Sandpiper that was also present, much to the chagrin of the 'serious' birders present, who muttered threats about throwing us into the marsh!

This is fantastic, great study. They are great birds and one species strongly tied to some early birding memories in Dublin. Used to look forward to them returning to my local patch in dublin each autumn so much. This one is superbly drawn, the stucture is bang on right down to the attenuated vent, just super...

Lovely C Sand you have there. As for the reminiscence, September 1975 it was! I feel a sketch coming on...

here we are- 70s teenage birder looking up the skirt of a Curlew Sand whilst Buff-breast toddles off ignored. Note small size of observer relative to birds (could be artist error) presence of Hamlyn guide and absence of telescope.

Attachments

• dnb copy.jpg
    dnb copy.jpg
    484.5 KB · Views: 138
Fab character, Ed - is it you or Dave? By the way the RSPCA will prosecute if you ever get that close to a wader again!
And here's a bit double vodka fro the 6,000 viewing of Alan's (and our) wonderful thread!!!!!!
Ha1 - and that's my 2000 post!!!!!

Fab character, Ed - is it you or Dave? By the way the RSPCA will prosecute if you ever get that close to a wader again!
And here's a bit double vodka fro the 6,000 viewing of Alan's (and our) wonderful thread!!!!!!
Ha1 - and that's my 2000 post!!!!!

Ha ha Tim, I'm afraid it's me - I recognise myself instantly! BTW, how do you know how many have viewed the post - forgive my ignorance!

Dave

Hi Dave - on the list of threads - atthe righthand side there're 2 columns - one in red is how many posts to the thread and the one in black is how many views (visits) the thread has had.
What are you doing with that weapon in Ed's drawing, for goodness sake -?

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back