• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

ID request Costa Mesa, CA (1 Viewer)

I shot this bird at fairview Park today. Can anyone tell me what kind of bird this is?

Thank you!!

Attachments

• Fairview Park 538.jpeg
    Fairview Park 538.jpeg
    33.8 KB · Views: 64
Its a Killdeer Planetjanet. Note the double ring at the throat and chest.

Andy

Last edited:
Thank you so much!!!! In fact, there were several babies there as well, and some guy just picked one up. The adult killdeer were flying in circles above the man's head, making a lot of noise. I have heard that parents abandon their babies if humans touch them. Is this true?

Attachments

• babychick.jpg
    babychick.jpg
    126.1 KB · Views: 55
Last edited:
Agreed. A false story, which I heard when I was a small child, was that the scent of humans would spread to the chicks, causing the parents to reject them.

Still, it was a well-meaning bit of mis-information - always best not to pick up nestlings or young fledglings, unless they are in some sort of imminent danger; they certainly won't like it.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back