• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Andriod Grid Ref (1 Viewer)

spuggyhawk

Hi
I'm looking for an easy to use App that takes Grid Ref. The idea being that I get near the location and then use a Grid Ref app to guide me to the point... On Andriod.
Can anyone help?

Try Maverick. You can view OS maps, add a waypoint by manually adding the grid ref (it reconciles the grid ref to a street address! Which I thought was cool.)

And then you can navigate to it, only via straight line navigation, but might be good for your purposes.

Its quite a complex package, I got the paid for version for more waypoints, but I'd be surprised if there is anything out there more powerful
Peter

I am not quite sure what the Grid Ref is for but if you want an android app that takes grid references and does nothing else then there is an app called 'Grid Reference'. It will show you a grid reference in 6, 8 or 10 fig GR.

I use it if finding a flower or something static I need to record then I can put the phone next to the item when photographing it.

Last edited:
Thanks Peter... I have got the free maverick and have had play with it but cant seem to get it to do what i want.. I'm a not great with tech so it may be me or maybe i need the paid version.
Jon

I am not quite sure what the Grid Ref is for but if you want an android app that takes grid references and does nothing else then there is an app called 'Grid Reference'. It will show you a grid reference in 6, 8 or 10 fig GR.

I use it if finding a flower or something static I need to record then I can put the phone next to the item when photographing it.

Hi Bob.. When going to places that a bird has been reported and ive not been before, I navigate to the area via satnav but then i need to use the grid ref that usually comes through on the bird reports on birdguides to navigate on foot to the spot where the bird was seen. Yes i have a app that will give me a grid ref of my location but i need one to navigate from my location to a given grid ref.

Hi Spuggyhawk, i'm not sure if the features i am using is only in the paid version.. but I can do it by: opening Maverick (v2.5)..

open the main menu,
select "Waypoints"
select "add manually"
along the top row select "OSGB"
type the full grid ref in the "Zone/grid ref" box
then save the waypoint (save button at bottom of form)
go into the "Waypoints - collections", and select the collection you have just saved to,
then "waypoints-browse", select your waypoint, and "go to" at the bottom of that page

This gives you the navigation direction, or you can use the compass

Press the top right "to: waypoint" and choose "stop navigation" to stop the navigation.

I agree, it isn't simple, but works well.

Or, if you recognise the destination on the OS map, you can move the little cross in the middle of the screen to your destination, and hit the green waypoint symbol, and "go to".

The more I dabble with maverick, the better it gets!

Hope this is useful, if not, at least I learned a couple of things typing this out!
Peter

Hi Spuggyhawk, i'm not sure if the features i am using is only in the paid version.. but I can do it by: opening Maverick (v2.5)..

open the main menu,
select "Waypoints"
select "add manually"
along the top row select "OSGB"
type the full grid ref in the "Zone/grid ref" box
then save the waypoint (save button at bottom of form)
go into the "Waypoints - collections", and select the collection you have just saved to,
then "waypoints-browse", select your waypoint, and "go to" at the bottom of that page

This gives you the navigation direction, or you can use the compass

Press the top right "to: waypoint" and choose "stop navigation" to stop the navigation.

I agree, it isn't simple, but works well.

Or, if you recognise the destination on the OS map, you can move the little cross in the middle of the screen to your destination, and hit the green waypoint symbol, and "go to".

The more I dabble with maverick, the better it gets!

Hope this is useful, if not, at least I learned a couple of things typing this out!
Peter

Thanks Peter... Thats fantastic. I did need the paid version and ive got it now. followed your instructions and it works really well, just what i needed. and like you say it looks like it has a lot more features worth exploring.
Thanks again peter

Jon

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back