• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

I've lost wireless connection...what can I do? (1 Viewer)

David Smith

Warrington Lancs
I'm sending this from my main computer (which is still "wired in").

With Virgin I have wireless internet......they set that up some months ago when installing the new top box.
Until yesterday I could happily use my lap top from any room in the house.........then suddenly (yesterday) -I have no connection at all. The little sign at the bottom of the screen has a red X across it to show there is no wireless connection. Tried it again today with the same results.

I can phone them up and spend hours getting through but hope someone here could perhaps tell me what steps I can take to remedy it.

Thanks

Hello,
As you write that your main computer is still "wired in," I gather that the modem is working and you are using your ethernet cable from the modem.
Do you have a Mac? If you do you can set it up as a software base station. Go to systems preferences; then go to sharing; then click on internet sharing. Set it for ethernet input and wireless output.
In any case, with either a PC or a Mac, reboot the router. There may not be any switches, so you have to unplug it and replug it. On a Mac, there is a diagnostic tool, in Network preferences. My guess is that the router died, rather unlikely, or it needs the reboot. If the reboot does not work, if you lease the router, then its your ISP's problem, so you may have to call Virgin.

Please note, that I am not familiar with UK ISP's, but this how it works in the former colonies.

Happy bird watching,
Arthur Pinewood :hi:

Last edited:
David, are you getting a wi-fi connection on your galaxy ace? If yes possible problem with laptop, if no then problem likely to be with modem/router.

Dave

David
Check your network id and password? Search for the network and sign in. If you have the VM Superhub I think the details are on a label on the side of it. Or, your laptop may just have lost it. You may of course have changed the details to your own, which you need to use.

Cheers

Phil

David, are you getting a wi-fi connection on your galaxy ace? If yes possible problem with laptop, if no then problem likely to be with modem/router.
Dave
Yes-I can get wi-fi on my phone. My 10 year old grand daughter is here today and just checked this.......the message on the laptop just says there is no wi-fi connection**

I assume you have some kind of modem/router that Virgin configured for you. Rebooting that would be the first idea.
Andrea
Thanks......I did re-boot and also re-set (with a pin as per instructions)..... unfortunately I have the same result i.e. no wi-fi connection.

David
Check your network id and password? Search for the network and sign in. If you have the VM Superhub I think the details are on a label on the side of it. Or, your laptop may just have lost it. You may of course have changed the details to your own, which you need to use.
Cheers
Phil
My 10 year old grand-daughter is checking this as I type.
She has now checked and it just says there is no wifi connection.**
I do have a super-hub and have found the password

Thanks to all.......I will report back.
Meanwhile I have spoken to Virgin and they think its a fault at their end--they are sending me and ethernet??? cable so I can connect to the hub--then phone them back/ and they will check from their end.
Thanks again.

I would have thought that if you are getting a wi-fi signal on your phone the problem is probably related to your computer, not the modem/router.

Dave

Hello, please forgive me if this appears to be insulting - it isn't - but have come across it so many times with family's laptops - are you sure you haven't accidentally switched off your Wi-Fi on your laptop? My laptop has an 'aerial' symbol on a key on the keboard (F12) with a tiny light on it (blue for on, red for off), but my son's laptop has a sliding switch on the front edge which he also manages to accidentally slide off. I imagine other laptops also have other ways to switch it off. Just thought it was worth checking.

Hope you don't mind my suggestion.
Debbie

Hello, please forgive me if this appears to be insulting - it isn't - but have come across it so many times with family's laptops - are you sure you haven't accidentally switched off your Wi-Fi on your laptop? My laptop has an 'aerial' symbol on a key on the keboard (F12) with a tiny light on it (blue for on, red for off), but my son's laptop has a sliding switch on the front edge which he also manages to accidentally slide off. I imagine other laptops also have other ways to switch it off. Just thought it was worth checking.

Debbie

Hi Debbie.
Not insulting at all........I am the original techniphobe so am open to any suggestions........I will ty this today.
Thanks

Debbie

Debbie
Un (flippin)believable
I checked as you suggested..........sure enough-on the front edge is a sliding switch which was..............OFF3:)
I switched it to ON and........low & behold....we have lift off.
Once again I thank everyone for the kind help which has all helped me learn things.

You are very welcome - I've spent many an hour (and on more than one occasion!) trying to get Wi-Fi to work, only for it to be this problem. Glad it's working now.
Debbie

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back