• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Upton Warren (18 Viewers)

No worries mate;)
Did it have a go at that mallard Vern. Great shots.
Yes Dave looks like a T, perhaps the tag split and the number fell offB :)John

Interesting possibility, John - the 'stem' part of the 'T' seems to extend to the trailing edge of the tag (which is squared off) and could indicate that it has snapped off. Perhaps it started off as an 'I' for instance. Also, the colour of the figure may be misleading us - perhaps it has discoloured via some process over time. Perhaps I'm getting desperate to to find answers. 8-P

A few observations today

FLASHES/SAILING POOL
Avocet (4)------------------Oystercatcher(2)
Teal (9)-------------- -----Greylag Goose (2)
LRP (1) ---------------------Bullfinch (2m, 2f)
and of course the Marsh Harrier

MOORS:
Shoveler(18)-----------------Gadwall (4prs)!
Teal(3) -----------------------Tufted Duck(35)
Snipe(23)----------------------Jack Snipe (2)
Little Grebe (2)--------------- Redpoll (5)
Oystercatcher(4)------------ G C Grebe(4)
Raven (1)

I didn't see any Lapwing, Shelduck or Pochard on the Moors Pool.

JS

A few observations today

FLASHES/SAILING POOL

MOORS:
Raven (1)

JS

Cheers John - especially for adopting the Des style layout to your sightings so we dont even miss him :t:

Interesting possibility, John - the 'stem' part of the 'T' seems to extend to the trailing edge of the tag (which is squared off) and could indicate that it has snapped off. Perhaps it started off as an 'I' for instance. Also, the colour of the figure may be misleading us - perhaps it has discoloured via some process over time. Perhaps I'm getting desperate to to find answers. 8-P

Having trawled through the net, most harrier project tag both wings. Anyone like to donate a photo that I can then post of the Ringing thread to search for answers?

A few observations today

FLASHES/SAILING POOL

MOORS:
Raven (1)

JS

John I can add 5 Lapwing, 1 Kestrel, Buzzard, Grey Heron & Green Woodpecker (heard) at Flashes.

Pr Shelduck, 1 Water Rail,1 Kingfisher & 1 Common Snipe at Moors.

Rob

Stayed till dusk. Last MH sighting around 3pm. Didn't reappear from the reedbed. No other 'late' species showed.
Kestrel spent most the time hunting without any luck.
About 150 thrushes, mainly fieldfare, flew overhead to the north west. A number of redwings were seen going into roost by the orchard.
Three separate groups of starlings came into roost; combined total about 120 birds.

Photo's from today

Attachments

• M H  IMG_5392.jpg
    M H IMG_5392.jpg
    182.5 KB · Views: 145
  • M H IMG_5356.jpg
    M H IMG_5356.jpg
    125.7 KB · Views: 168
  • M H IMG_5364.jpg
    M H IMG_5364.jpg
    162.5 KB · Views: 156
  • M H IMG_5365.jpg
    M H IMG_5365.jpg
    187.6 KB · Views: 141
  • M H IMG_5373.jpg
    M H IMG_5373.jpg
    166.6 KB · Views: 149
Having trawled through the net, most harrier project tag both wings. Anyone like to donate a photo that I can then post of the Ringing thread to search for answers?

Hi Phil,

Phil Littler who rings Marsh Harriers in Norfolk is on the case. He has confirmed it is not one of their birds and is fairly certain it isn't a British bird at all. May be Dutch but he is hoping to provide further info in due course.

Brian

record shot of M H with close up of tag ( phil ) ya boots mr Andrews if you want to use this

Attachments

• marsh harrier.jpg
    marsh harrier.jpg
    110.8 KB · Views: 210
Last edited:
Hi Phil,

Phil Littler who rings Marsh Harriers in Norfolk is on the case. He has confirmed it is not one of their birds and is fairly certain it isn't a British bird at all. May be Dutch but he is hoping to provide further info in due course.

Brian

Thanks Brian - I had reached the same conclusion

Edit: a response on the Ringing thread has suggested this is part of a Belgium / Dutch scheme so I have approached the co-ordinator accordingly. Lets see if we can tie down where this Kiekendieff has come from!

Last edited:
Hi Phil,

Brian

Given its bizarre plumage could it be from Amsterdam Zoo?

Given its bizarre plumage could it be from Amsterdam Zoo?

Now that would be interesting!

Just had an email reply stating that it is not thought to be from a Dutch or French scheme due to the bird only having one tag.

Apparently a Spanish scheme may only use one tag and further info on this is being sought.

I suppose it's possible that a tag on the bird's right wing has become detached but even if that's the case, hopefully the tag it does have will be enough to track down its origins.

Brian

Managed to see the Marshie this morning flying from the Flashes direction onto the Moors pools this morning at 8.20am it flew around the pools for a few seconds then went onto the north moors and went to ground either in the north moors or just beyond.
I was in the east hide along with Alan H when the Marshie appeared, I am going to update later with countsbut here are a few quick shots from this morning.

1 Marshie was a little away in the distance when I got the camera ready so a little poor quality.
2 Wigeon doing a fly past
3 Kestrel pretending to be a helicopter on the flashes right next to the tower hide.

Attachments

• ZZZZ (44).JPG
    ZZZZ (44).JPG
    204.9 KB · Views: 139
  • ZZZZ (217).JPG
    ZZZZ (217).JPG
    126.1 KB · Views: 117
  • ZZZZ (257).JPG
    ZZZZ (257).JPG
    252.8 KB · Views: 117

Users who are viewing this thread

Back