• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Norfolk birding (20 Viewers)

300+ GP and no AGP although the 'grey' bird was present again

Velvet Scoter at Eccles per Matt and Steve - nice to share some cracking cranes with you

Nice meeting you again, Tim!

Also had two Skua sp? (very distant)
12 Pintail going north/west

Drake Goosander at Hickling

Followed by Stubb Mill

Approx 34 Marsh Harrier
2 Ring tail Hen Harrier
1 Barn Owl and 1 Japanese water deer in the fields on way back to the car.

Matt

Attachments

• waxham eccles 033.jpg
    waxham eccles 033.jpg
    43 KB · Views: 139
  • waxham eccles 041.jpg
    waxham eccles 041.jpg
    68.1 KB · Views: 146
  • waxham eccles 048.jpg
    waxham eccles 048.jpg
    75.7 KB · Views: 133
Now confused as enough people are telling me it's not raining!!! I've got things wrong in the past, as well as we all have. Will try and relocate the mystery bird on Wednesday. In the mean time I'll bow to superior knowledge and not tick is as an AGP. Blinking looked right to me though.
Happy birding
Alan

At Strumpshaw yesterday afternoon I was talking to a guy who was testing the salinity levels throughout the reserve. He said they were generally not too bad apart from the Tower hide area. They had reacted quickly to start pumping and the salt levels were much less than after the previous incursion. A Kingfisher had been seen in front of the Reception hide on Saturday, so perhaps things are not as bad as first feared.

There were not many small birds about (it was very cold, grey and windy) but we had great views of four Marsh Harriers in the air at the same time, being constantly mobbed by crows. There were also clouds of Rooks and Jackdaws wheeling about over the trees and small flocks of Fieldfares flying past (the latter were pointed out to me by the RSPB guy – I thought they were Starlings!)

Ron

Last edited:
I had an excellent weekend in Norfolk seeing everything that I was after. I had the Lapland and Snow Buntings along with the Pom Skua at Salthouse, Whoopers at Welney and Cranes at Horsey and stil had time to duck into Suffolk for the Penduline Tits.

I take that was you Connor at Warham Greens at dusk on Saturday.

At Strumpshaw yesterday afternoon I was talking to a guy who was testing the salinity levels throughout the reserve. He said they were generally not too bad apart from the Tower hide area. They had reacted quickly to start pumping and the salt levels were much less than after the previous incursion. A Kingfisher had been seen in front of the Reception hide on Saturday, so perhaps things are not as bad as first feared.

Good news!

Was talking about this with one of the NWT wardens at Stubb/Hickling last night about the situation with Hickling Broad area, fortunately no damage was done there though there was concern about the dunes being breached!
I was told during the floods many of the livestock used on the reserve were rounded up and transported to higher ground just in case!!, this was also the case with the cattle on Buckenham Marshes

Thanks to the advanced water level management systems in place on many wetland reserves these days the problem can be dealt with quite readily, though this sort of thing happening with increasing regularity won't help matters!

Matt

Had a brief walk around Strumpshaw again this afternoon, not really too much to shout about, lots of Blackbirds and Thrushes feesting on the berry and crab apple trees along the riverside walk ..frustratingly the walk just beyond towerhide and railway is still closed due to flooding (bet those rowans are crawling with waxwings about now!!)

Saw some ''interesting'' looking Tufteds by the towerhide I'd be interested in your thoughts about, had quite extensive white around the bill ..there was two birds and both had this apparent feature, couldn't get much detail on the bill pattern but managed some very ropey record shots of one of them ..what are the chances of Scaup??

Matt

Attachments

• ID1.jpg
    ID1.jpg
    117 KB · Views: 124
  • ID2.jpg
    ID2.jpg
    98.6 KB · Views: 142
Was there myself this afternoon till 4pm, saw the Kingfisher twice from reception hide and the Otter. I watched a Cormorant feeding Sat and it caught every dive, actually got a shot of Cetti's.

Mitch

At Walcott for 20 mins or so on Sunday, 3 Purple Sandpipers with the Turnstone (about 30) - also a fair few Sanderling, coming up the sea wall for great views.

I had an excellent weekend in Norfolk seeing everything that I was after. I had the Lapland and Snow Buntings along with the Pom Skua at Salthouse, Whoopers at Welney and Cranes at Horsey and stil had time to duck into Suffolk for the Penduline Tits.

I was there till about 3:30ish, when there was a ringtail Hen Harrier giving good views towards the back of the marsh. Glad you had a good weekend :t:.

Cheers,

Connor

Last edited:
Can any of you Norfolk birders point me in the direction of a site, blog, anwhere that might have/keep daily records of the Titchwell Reserve? - Thinking of visiting in the next few weeks and would like to know what is around apart from the birdguides pages.

Thanks in advance

Saw some ''interesting'' looking Tufteds by the towerhide I'd be interested in your thoughts about, had quite extensive white around the bill ..there was two birds and both had this apparent feature, couldn't get much detail on the bill pattern but managed some very ropey record shots of one of them ..what are the chances of Scaup??

Matt

This kind of 'Scaup-faced' Tufted Duck is relatively common - you can usually find a few in a decent sized flock. Scaup is possible and does occur on inland waters, though it's a good find.

Look out for the difference in bill pattern - Scaup only has black on the nail of the bill, rather than a terminal band. Female-type Scaup also generally shows pale patches (sometimes very obvious) on the face. In general, they're a noticeably bigger, sturdier duck as well: "broad-beamed" is a phrase that gets used quite a bit.

Hope this helps

This kind of 'Scaup-faced' Tufted Duck is relatively common - you can usually find a few in a decent sized flock. Scaup is possible and does occur on inland waters, though it's a good find.

Look out for the difference in bill pattern - Scaup only has black on the nail of the bill, rather than a terminal band. Female-type Scaup also generally shows pale patches (sometimes very obvious) on the face. In general, they're a noticeably bigger, sturdier duck as well: "broad-beamed" is a phrase that gets used quite a bit.

Hope this helps

Thanks, David ..much appreciated:t:

May get the opportunity for a second look tomorrow with a scope!

Matt

Had excellent views of the Rough-legged Buzzard hunting over Gapton Marshes in Great Yarmouth today.

I think it is best viewed from the bank next to Halfords if anybody is interested in trying for it tomorrow.

A cracking way to spend a lunch break!

Ian

Thanks, David ..much appreciated:t:

May get the opportunity for a second look tomorrow with a scope!

Matt

No problem... I've just found the thread you created on this topic in the ID Q&A sub-forum, and laughed out loud to read someone describing Scaup as "broad-beamed"! I told you it's a popular phrase for this species...

I was around on Saturday evening, from 4 till dark. Managed 1 fem Hen Harrier, being mobbed by a probable Merlin. However, was soon too dark to continue.

Today, working on Morston quay produced 22+ Twite, which increased to c30 later on. A few of these are colour-ringed, and were pirched the other day for a decent amount of time on one of the bridges. However, I didn't get a chance to get a scope on them, so couldn't note any ring combinations down. If someone fancies a task, there you are.

Also 5 Snow Buntings, 1 female type Hen Harrier west, giving nice close views early in the morning, 1 juv Marsh Harrier, 1 male Peregrine and a Kingfisher past a couple of times.

Jason

Last edited:
Holme

Hi Connor,

Not managed to get up to Holme in the last few weeks so not bumped into you, but will no doubt catch up soon. Been seawatching & had couple of great days at Sheringham & Cley, also been chasing the Lap Bunts at Salthouse with the camera.

ATB Chris

Back yesterday from a week's birding in Tunisia and just had a gorgeous male Marsh Harrier drift over my garden in Warham while i was feeding the chickens.

It's so good to be back!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back