• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Which Wheatear?? (1 Viewer)

Ruby

Hi,

Would anyone be able to help me out with this bird....

I believe it to be a Wheatear, but not much like any Wheatear that I've ever seen before!!

It was very large and dumpy-looking, both characteristics stood out markedly when it was seen next to 'normal' Wheatear (maybe 25% bigger!!)

The colouration was very pale too, pale buff on the front with a slightly rufous throat.... I've left the colour/exposure on the pic, rather than muck about with it.

I know that there are various Wheatear races - I guess this is just one that I'm not familiar with.....

Thanks..... Ruby

Attachments

• Wheatear.jpg
    Wheatear.jpg
    65.7 KB · Views: 464
Hi Ruby
I think it is a Northern Wheatear (1st winter/female), the type you usually get in Britain. Due to it's size (as you indicated) it's maybe a 'Greenland type', which is known to be bigger than the nominate race. 'Greenland' Northern Wheatears are not rare in Britain but are certainly not as common as the 'bog standard' one. From the photo I would not like to say that this is definitely the case, it's just an assumption.
Hope this helps.

Thanks Guys,

Just so that I've got this straight.... The Greenland race is the larger race, and it is a subspecies of the more common Northern Wheatear??

This was certainly a biggie - at one stage it settled next to a Turnstone, and wasn't much smaller!!

Rgds... Ruby

Ruby said:
Thanks Guys,

Just so that I've got this straight.... The Greenland race is the larger race, and it is a subspecies of the more common Northern Wheatear??

This was certainly a biggie - at one stage it settled next to a Turnstone, and wasn't much smaller!!

Rgds... Ruby

From your description and photo I'd say that this bird was almost certainly a Greenland race bird. Larger, more upright, looking longer legged and usually quite striking rich plumage tones.
Yes it is a sub-species of Northern Wheatear, in spring they seem to go through later and then likewise in autumn.
There we several nice looking individuals over the past few weeks on the Moray coast.

JP

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back