• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Kenya Birds,August,2013: Need IDs (1 Viewer)

rwpierce

I photographed these birds in Kenya in August,2013.

I have three pelican photos. Depending on time of year and age of pelican, I am stumped by either White Pelicans or perhaps Pink-backed Pelicans
The two relatively close shots were taken at Lake Nakuru.
The longer shot of the large group was at Amboseli.

Both of the Swallow photos were taken at the Ol Pejeta Conservancy.

Any Id help would be appreciated.
Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• WhitePelicansperhaps1.jpg
    WhitePelicansperhaps1.jpg
    275 KB · Views: 67
  • WhitePelicansperhaps2.jpg
    WhitePelicansperhaps2.jpg
    336.5 KB · Views: 56
  • WhitePelicans3perhaps.jpg
    WhitePelicans3perhaps.jpg
    378.4 KB · Views: 65
  • WiretailedSwallow perhaps.jpg
    WiretailedSwallow perhaps.jpg
    217.9 KB · Views: 74
  • Kind of Swallow.jpg
    Kind of Swallow.jpg
    232.5 KB · Views: 66
OK, I reckon White Pelican because of contrast on underwing, and Wire-tailed Swallow.

Agree with the Pelicans. The second Swallow is Wire-tailed, but the first has only a half chestnut forehead, not a cap..... Is it something different?, I'll wait for Valéry!

Ethiopian certainly seems the best match to me. Ol Pejeta is close to the southern-most distribution of that species given in Stevenson and Fanshawe.

Andrea

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back