• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Monarch 7 8x30 a good size ? (1 Viewer)

wachipilotes

Hello,
I am currently following a good binocular that is small, handy and with good quality, but also be "friendly" in its use. For example, the binoular not present, the effect Kidney Been
I've noticed this Nikon Monarch 8x30 7 (previously requested information right here, 8x42 model), which could well be a good candidate, someone usually uses it for general observation, as binocular "tout a faire"? because actually I think would interest me a binocular to watch a little of everything ..
On the other hand, I think the model 8x30 / 8x32 is more manageable than the model 8x42, otherwise also think that the model 10x30 / 10x32 might be darker and trembling
I have also seen models like the Nikon HG L DCF 8x32 or 8x30 Swarovski CL Companion, or even the Leica Pocket 8x20, as contenders, maybe a step above ... with much higher price.
Possibly I personally do not think I could get to differentiate the image of a Monarch Swaro and 7 ... I think?
thanks in advance.
Al

I'd personally stick with an 8x32 or 8x42. Can you afford a little more than the price of the Nikon Monarch 7? The Monarch 7 I tried had a lot of glare and difficult eye placement compared to a quality 8x32. The Monarch 7 is ok for an inexpensive, small, light, glove box binocular but I wouldn't recommend one as a serious principal birding binocular. Here is a super binocular for $650.00. Well worth the $300.00 over the Monarch 7 on glare resistance alone. Nikon Monarch 7's are popular because for their low price they represent a pretty good value. You can buy one for about $250.00 on Ebay if you look. Here is a Nikon Monarch 7 on Ebay for $235.00.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Nikon-Monar...748640?hash=item1a1c1c0760:g:TmgAAOSwNRdX3sOT

https://www.tractoptics.com/products/binoculars/toric-binoculars

Last edited:
I'd personally stick with an 8x32 or 8x42. Can you afford a little more than the price of the Nikon Monarch ? Here is a super binocular for $650.00.

https://www.tractoptics.com/products/binoculars/toric-binoculars

SALE on those coming up!

Hi Guys,

Just a little advance notice. Going to have a promotion opening on our Toric Scopes and Bino's. I'll get the opening dates to you as soon as I know them, but it will be within the next week or so.

Discount wise....Going to be in the area of a double digit percent...much better than the norm. I'm not allowed to give away too much, but this is the perfect opportunity to pick up some great Optics and very very good prices...

Hi Al,
I have a Monarch 7 8x30, and for its price, it is quite a useful glass. Its main advantages are:
- lightweight and very compact (it is one of the lightest 8x30 binos on the market)
- respectable field of view (8.3 degrees = 145m/1000m)
For "general observation" and as a glass that you always carry with you, it can be recommended.
Demanding birders and purists may sneer at straylight effets which in certain lighting situations become visible - no wonder in such a compact binocular body - or at the peripheral sharpness which is not superb either, compared in particular with other more expensive compact binos. However, straylight suppression and off-axis sharpness do not necessarily have to be big issues, depending on where, when and how you use the bino for observations. So you will have to try a Monarch out to see if you are happy with it, or whether you want to invest a bit more in another pair of binoculars. There is a number of midprice 8x30 / 8x32 binoculars on the market (and I agree that this size is in many instances the right size), which are more or less easily available, depending on where you live, so that you could go and could try them out.
In short: the Monarch 7 8x30 is neither the best nor the worst you can get in this size, but for its price, it is well built, light and compact and offers quite a reasonable performance.

I'm going to say that for its price the Monarch 7 8x30 is at the top of the list if not the best choice for an 8x30/32 (again best for the price..they are priced very well for what you get in my opinion)..Can find them new on Ebay for quite a bit less then retail
There are a lot of good choices out there but the M7 is so light and has a great field of view. I think the Monarch 7 line is a great value

Hi Al,

For "general observation" and as a glass that you always carry with you, it can be recommended.

Regarding the 8x30 format, I have to agree 100% with the comment above.

I'm finding I'm grabbing my 8x30 and leaving my 8x32 behind more and more.

There seems to be a little trade-off between pockets, 8x30, and 8x32 formats. The 8x30 seems to be as small as I want to go for carry convenience and not becoming to bothersome to use. The 8x32 is a bit more use friendly with a little more size to it, and the pocket is a bit more carry convenient and is a little more use inconvenient.

Maybe in your area, the Kyte Lynx 8x30 is another option available to consider.??

CG

I've Kite Lynx 8x30s and have had use of Monarch 7 8x30s. I absolutely agree with Canip's overview. The much talked about problems with stray light & glare in the Monarchs I only found a problem a few times and then only in fairly atypical situations. It can happen and might annoy but I don't think it's a huge problem in day-to-day birding. Perhaps the peripheral sharpness wasn't that brilliant but with an above average FoV I'm not sure it's really a problem as in other glasses you wouldn't have that extra view at all. Besides, like most I look at the centre of the view not the edges. I've now passed these binoculars on to my daughter but still have my Kite Lynx 8x30s with which I am very happy. In direct comparison, they're a bit snappier than the Monarchs and control stray light & glare a little better. In neither instruments could I detect any real world disadvantage in 30mm vs 32mm OG.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back