• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Difference between Monarch 5 and 7. (1 Viewer)

sarge1967

Other than FOV and eye relief what are the differences between the Monarch 5 8x42 and M7 8x42?
They both have ED glass. Are the coatings better on the M7?

I cant tell you the difference for sure, but my guess would be that the M7 has a superior eye lens assembly, I had a Monarch 5, which is I think a pretty standard 2 lens EP, and I sold it again pronto, didnt think much of it myself, didnt view very much better than a nikon travelite I had.

Ben

I think so. M7 has an 8º FOV. 420'@1000yards. The M5 has 6.3 FOV. 330'@1000yards. The M7s eyepiece would have to be more complex and costly. Furthermore, one will notice that big a difference very easily.

Bob

The M5 in 8x has been fine for 3 years or so. I like it for eye relief, as I get a full field with glasses on. I have some other ED glass, but they are all 10x, so I use them less due to the lesser eye relief.

Looks like the M7 is about $450. I would certainly look at them if I lost my current Monarchs.

Last edited:
Sarge:

I have experience with both of these, first the Monarch 5, 8x42 and currently the Monarch
7, 10x42. I like both of these, very sharp, and bright.

I gave the M5 8x42 away to a friend, he had his choice between the M5, and the Zeiss
Terra 8x42, and he went with the Nikon.

The wider FOV of the M7 is nice, any coatings changes between these is not apparent, and it is a great choice.

I recommend either one. Typical Nikon, nice fit and finish, smooth focuser, I like that.

Jerry

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back