• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

First attempt at Drawing and Painting Birds (1 Viewer)

I think that Feet are the ugliest part of a Bird, so This way, along with the scenery the bird looks more Beautiful and Wild

I think that Feet are the ugliest part of a Bird,

lol! funny you should say that because I've been paying particular attention to bird's feet the past week (cos I can't draw them very well either!) and it occurred to me yesterday, watching gulls above me, just how cute their feet are and the delicate colours with light shining through - and the Greenies feet on the feeders - little hands!

I LOVE feet!! I'm going to draw FEET!:bounce:

Ugliest part! I often find them the coolest part of a bird (grebe feet, or the knuckley feet of herons when perched!), I'm just terrible at rendering them and so usually neglect them in my sketches. Maybe we need to do a 'September Foot-a-thon' ... encourage everyone to get out and work on those bird feet!

Ugliest part! I often find them the coolest part of a bird (grebe feet, or the knuckley feet of herons when perched!), I'm just terrible at rendering them and so usually neglect them in my sketches. Maybe we need to do a 'September Foot-a-thon' ... encourage everyone to get out and work on those bird feet!

Cool Idea Jomo! lets get going on those feet.

lovely drawing Zac! Feet are a pain, if you see them as "toes and claws" - although sometimes this has to be the case (perched birds of prey/walking coots - that type of thing) -but if you can simplify their shapes, they add a huge amount to the drawing. I'll try to illustrate later - if I get time (and remember to do so!)

I may Be getting some paints at the weekend from a local shop, I hope to have a completed painting by at least mid next week...
Any Suggestions? (e.g. habitat, Bird, flock or single(remember I'm still a beginner!))

Last edited:
I may Be getting some paints at the weekend from a local shop, I hope to have a completed painting by at least mid next week...
Any Suggestions? (e.g. habitat, Bird, flock or single(remember I'm still a beginner!))

How about that Black Winged Stilt from your earlier post ..or maybe an Avocet?, colour and plumage not too technical but will be a good exercise in line and posture, which is one of your strong points in my opinion.

Look forward to seeing whatever you choose.

Matt

Thanks Matt
Good Suggestion (and thanks for the compliment!) I was origionally going to start with Whitethroat due to my Sketches that I did last week, but with the difficulty of the habitat (Scrub) I have decided not.
Stilts are a good choice, and as Avocet breed at MMWWT, I shall incorporate one or two, even a juv maybe?

thanks

Zac

Thats possibly my second choice, as this would take time with each feather if I want to do such an awesome bird (bias here ;)) justice.
When I do it, where? Tree or grass? or rocks (a few pics on Bird guides that I can relate to...)

When I do it, where? Tree or grass? or rocks (a few pics on Bird guides that I can relate to...)
Ah well, Zak - I would start as I mean to go on. Whichever bird you decide to do, try to remember how and where you actually saw it - what it was about the bird that appealed to you (besides the rarity factor) and try re-create that 'feeling' in your painting - then you're on your way . . .

thats a very good tip Tim!
I think what struck me about the Stilts was the stindleyness of them and how they seemed nervous that they weren't in a place they know.
I didn't notice anything amazing about the Robin, just that it appeared to be very terretorial with head held high!

I havn't done a Field Sketch / Sketch for a while, they have all been copies of photo's.
So here we are, an evening spend watching immature and adult Starlings in the Neighbourhood.
(Hope you don't mind Andy, but i've 'borrowed' your method for shading eyes, as I think they look Awesome!)

Attachments

• SL021.jpg
    SL021.jpg
    17.3 KB · Views: 112
thanks Deb
I was refering to Andy's Drawings! Not Mine! lol but thanks!

Wow, it doesn't seem long ago, well it's not sinse I started this thread, and im nearly at 100 posts!

Thanks Everyone for the encouragement!

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back