• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Mike's conservatory (2 Viewers)

Woody, paint in whatever style you enjoy the most (and when you're this good at it, cripes, you ought to!). She's coming along beautifully, can't wait to see her finished!

Progress is being made on the female kessy. This type of work takes a bit of time but I'm really enjoying getting lost in the detail. Maybe the next project will be a bigger detailed piece with some thought for composition, not just 'a bird on a stick'.

Mike

Attachments

• kespostwipii.jpg
    kespostwipii.jpg
    116.3 KB · Views: 183
Progress is being made on the female kessy. This type of work takes a bit of time but I'm really enjoying getting lost in the detail. Maybe the next project will be a bigger detailed piece with some thought for composition, not just 'a bird on a stick'.

Mike

I always like your bop paintings!
Not that I dont like your sketch's!

Kessy is coming along a treat!

Corinna

Still progressing down the page with occasional revisits up the page. It felt like the form was losing out to the detail so a bit of tone has been applied to correct the problem. The tones on the post should help when they go in too.

Mike

Attachments

• kespostwipiii.jpg
    kespostwipiii.jpg
    107.9 KB · Views: 137
I love how you are working, Mike. I've said it before, it is really interesting watching how people progress with their work and the differences between everyone.

Progress is still continuing. Tail feathers are waiting to be detailed and shaped. I may play with the background, add a bit of distant landscape perhaps and include some foreground grass. I may also play with shadows, I'll decide as I go.

Des, this one is acrylic on paper and it's about 8"x11"

Mike

Attachments

• kespostwipiv.jpg
    kespostwipiv.jpg
    120.3 KB · Views: 141
Last edited:
A 'Woody Classic' - and I can't think of higher praise. It's got all that a portrait needs - super character beautifully described and sufficient supporting information, superbly crafted to make this much, much more than a bird on a stick!
Divine.

trying to catch up with all the threads so you'll forgive me if I just say Wow, and agree that form is sometimes hard to get on such strongly patterned birds, and here you've done it perfectly, hats off to you!

I just bought a new scanner for home! I thought I'd try it out on a barn owl study I've done as prep work for a larger painting so here it is...

Mike

Attachments

• flybarnpaint72.jpg
    flybarnpaint72.jpg
    69.5 KB · Views: 118
Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back