• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Des's Doodlings (1 Viewer)

desgreene

I've been dipping my toes into bird sketching recently, and had some good encouragement in the Joint thread.

So rather than keep clogging up that thread I'll dump all my scribblings here!

All advice and tips welcome and much appreciated!

Des.

I've been dipping my toes into bird sketching recently, and had some good encouragement in the Joint thread.

So rather than keep clogging up that thread I'll dump all my scribblings here!

All advice and tips welcome and much appreciated!

Des.

Hi Des

I love that you have taken the plunge and created a thread of your own :t:

Super picture of the Nuthatch by the way. The shape of the bird is :t: in my eyes.

One thing I could say is that you have time to concentrate on the shadings of your sketches. I am meaning the light shadings over the dark shadings of your subject. This help bring the subject to the foreground. You can then have all the additional background that you want to include ie the Tree Trunk, leaves etc..

So imagine your Nuthatch is sitting on the trunk of a tree (as he is) and the sun is shining to the left of the tree. So that means the shading would be light on the left side of the bird and darker on the right. Same applies to the Tree Trunk he is sitting on. Does that make sense. Just a suggestion here. ;)

It is imagining the shading of your subject in the different lights from all types of weather to different times of the day. Light shadings v's dark shadings. Medium shadings are more to do with judgment of what feels right for you.

Also it is style, and it depends what style you want to create too.

It takes bit of practice (Just to mention I love drawing/painting too but do not do enough of it at the moment myself). ;)

Last edited:
Hi Peewit,
thanks for taking the time to add your suggestions. I'm definitely still struggling with the techniques I can use to add shading and form. There's loads of great inspiration on here (Andrew Ellis's thread for just one example of some beautiful pencil work!), so I'll keep plugging away.

Cheers,
Des.

Hi Peewit,
thanks for taking the time to add your suggestions. I'm definitely still struggling with the techniques I can use to add shading and form. There's loads of great inspiration on here (Andrew Ellis's thread for just one example of some beautiful pencil work!), so I'll keep plugging away.

Cheers,
Des.

Hi Des

No worries, with the techniques. Andrew Ellis's work is fantastic. I have had a good look at all artists work on this Forum, and I love it. :-O

The information I gave to you is what I remember from my Art teacher from my secondary school. I see what he said as words of wisdom. He taught all about light and shade in all types of paintings.

What he has said to me has stuck in my mind forever, and it does work. It does make sense and it seems to work for me (and my artistic other half)

It is an artists style of their comfort zone after all. There is no right or wrong way of going about doing anything, as long as you feel good about what you are creating that is the main thing.

Cheers Tim,
and a lunch break quickie.... White Wagtail from a photo I took over in Spain.

Attachments

• WWag2.jpg
    WWag2.jpg
    40.6 KB · Views: 194
Hi Des

That is what a call a superb bit of artistic merit :t:

Fantastic, and the subject gives a feel although you can touch him. He looks although he is going to fly off any minute. :t:

Thanks Peewit. Hopefully takes into account some of your suggestions regarding lighting/shading etc.

All the best,
Des.

good stuff! I admire your energetic use of the pencil greatly, the wagtail is a real character and I think the best advice I can offer is keep at it. Peewit is right about looking for/thinking about shadows. Just remember that sometimes shadows can be surprising and are not always as simple as darkening one side of the bird, this is where looking at the real thing is important. Light can be reflected onto where things are supposed to be darker by snow or water, and there are endless opportunties for light and shadows to play. A great start and I look forward to seeing more appear on this thread.

Nice going Des, it's lovely to see new people taking up the challenge as you have. Best advice has already been given; Keep at it and keep looking at the real thing. Once you start drawing the birds you see you begin looking at them in a slightly different way and it sharpens your observation wonderfully.
Looking forward to more.

Mike

Beautiful work Des - if that's what you can mange in a lunchtime I think your potential as an artist is astounding - keep going and congrats on starting your own thread...

Hi Des

Great pictures all round pictures of the Red Shanks for a lunch breaks worth of sketching

Love the way you have an all round action shot of them flying. Love the way you have presented their legs hanging as they do while in flight :t:

Super work :-O

Alright another exciting forum!! I'll look forward to checking in often:) Great sketches and what a great way to spend a lunch break!! When I was a teenager, I actually got "laid off" from a job for sketching during working hours.. hahaha!

Thanks for the encouragement all!

Peter - I bet you're glad you got laid-off from that job. It's not good working for small minded people! I wish I'd been sketching when I was a teenager.

Chris - I generally work from home, so have been grabbing a quick bite and then get stuck in. Sadly I don't seem to be losing weight on this new regime!

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back