• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Berry Head, Devon (1 Viewer)

JRE

I have the opportunity of a dawn seawatch at Berry Head tomorrow.
A quick glance at the weather forecast, and it seems it's going to be cloudy with sunny spells and a light south westerly, but no rain.
On Saturday however, the rain is back, with stronger south west winds.
Anyone think it's worth waiting until Saturday for a seawatch (I can only do one day unfortunately, not both), or should I go tomorrow, and hope to catch up with the tail end of the Cory's movement?
Suggestions welcome
Joe

Visited Berry Head on Tuesday 05 sat with a great tutor which was helpful
I arrived during the quiet period
1400-1800hrs
1 Great Skua
8 Manx Shearwater
86 Common Tern
2 Artic Tern
4 Balearic Shearwater
1 Storm Petrel

Over the whole day over 1,000 Common Terns came through.

Last edited:
A fantastic day Sea watching with some experienced seawatchers (passing on ID skills and knowledge! Thankyou), undoubted highlight was my first Great Shearwater following a trawler into the bay, really good close views for 15 minutes could make out all the detail. Lots of Common Tern, including some Sandwich and Artic. Balearic and Manx Shearwater. 5 Artic Skua inc 1 light phase, 2 Bonxies and a Pom Skua

An update on my visits to Berry Head now I have the chance! This is what I saw and recorded. There were people keeping more accurate counts than me!
12/08/08
0715-1230hrs
1 Pom Skua,28 Storm Petrel,14 Manx,3 Artic Tern,2 Sandwich Tern, 4 Balearic Shearwater,2 Common Scoter, 3 Common Tern, 1 Bonxie
16/08/08
0630-1230hrs
13 Arctic Skua, 3 Pom Skua, 12 Bonxie, 133+ Manx, 22 Balearic, 2 Sooty Shearwater, 1 Arctic Tern, 4 Sandwich Tern, 38 Common Tern, 7 common Scoter.
As I turned up the Great Shearwater was just moving out of sight and just after I left the other went through!!
18/08/08
1315-1800hrs
42 Manx, 20 Balearic, 6 Sooty Shearwaters 2 Bonxie, 8 Arctic Skua, 2 Peregrine Falcon

Can anyone tell me what the best conditions in terms of wind direction are for seawatching off of Berry Head, and where the best watchpoint is?

I have a long weekend and was thinking of driving down later in the week - Friday looks good with some strong south-westerlies.

Thanks in advance.

Can anyone tell me what the best conditions in terms of wind direction are for seawatching off of Berry Head, and where the best watchpoint is?

I have a long weekend and was thinking of driving down later in the week - Friday looks good with some strong south-westerlies.

Thanks in advance.
Park at the visitor centre car park, and walk along the tarmac road that runs straight down the headland. Take the first left which will bring you down slightly, and then round a sharp bend to the right, before continuing steeply down to the quarry.

Walk on through another 200m with the quarry bushes on your right, and up along a grassy track to a few big boulders at the edge of the cliff, looking out to sea. This is the seawatching spot, and if the conditions look favourable then there will be people there.

SSW winds and rain yesterday meant seabirds were moving in large numbers, going south past the headland. Our final totals were:

Sabine's Gull 1 (adult)
Long-tailed Skua 5 (adult, 4 juveniles)
Pomarine Skua 5
Arctic Skua 66
Great Skua 43
Sooty Shearwater 6
Balearic Shearwater 20
Manx Shearwater 14
Great Northern Diver 1
Common Scoter 28
Velvet Scoter 1
Kittiwake 403
Razorbill 64
Bottle-nosed Dolphin 11
Harbour Porpoise 1

Definitely worth getting there early (7.15 onwards) as things slow down considerably there in the afternoon. Good luck, if you go on Saturday then I'll see you there (weather-depending of course).

Joe

Last edited:
Joe - many thanks for your detailed reply, another good day today I see ! Hope to see you there sometime.

Regards

Geoff (bittern1)

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back