• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Black-headed gulls and other. (1 Viewer)

Fernando np

Hi,
Last sunday, at sunrise I was birding in a small dam, made for irrigation purpose. Fresh water, technically out of the scope of this branch. Nothing spectacular apart from a peregrine catching a swift round 50 meters from my position, so, as usual I was changing sights among the inhabitants. Among then an otter, roe deers, grey herons, white storks... There was a moment when a change in the behaviour of a group of a female mallard and her five duckling picked my attention. Previously they were swimming relaxingly in line over the surface. But now the ducklings had stopped making a thick group, whilst their mom had gone forward showing and alert attitude. The first suspect might be the otter. A group of over 60 black headed gulls were in a very different state of mind, part in the land part with their legs in the water. Absolutely indiferent, I supossed they owned too agility to be worried for the mustelid. Wrong, suddenly the gulls take off, no more than two meters high. In seconds they landed as all was the same. Almost, apart from an adult who had been chosen for the role of breakfast by the otter.
The provisional conclusion would be than the female mallard had higher grades in otter behaviour than the gulls. Anyone has experience in interaction among aquatic predators and gulls?

Fernando

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back