• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Optics fairs (1 Viewer)

boznia

Hi, I am going to go and have a look through some entry level optics at an 'IN FOCUS' field event at WWT Welney (Cambs,UK) soon and i was wondering whether companies offer any discounts at events such as this?

Also if anybody knows of any other such events coming up in the South East/East Anglia I would love to know.

The scope I am hoping to see is the Opticron IS 60mm with zoom eyepiece, just as Reg, another member, bought as a first scope. Has anybody had a go with this scope?

Happy birding,

Ben

Hi Boznia, In Focus visit this way too. It's a great opportunity to compare several different peices of equipment and they don't mind how long you spend. I even managed some digiscoped shots through their scopes last year.
Only problem, once you sampled the good stuff, it spoils you for the budget equipment - but I dare say that's what they hope will happen !

Looks like they are visiting Lackford Lakes nr Bury St.Edmunds on 28th Jan and 18th Feb

More info available www.at-infocus.co.uk

Hello Boznia,

Be careful about field days, good as they may be for comparing different brands sometimes that is not possible cos they limit what they take with them to these events and try to push you to decide on these products. Best to visit as many shops or events as you can to see as many different products as possible and then you will feel better when you buy whatever you decide to go for.

i would agree with what most of what andrew has said. although the main reason companies dont take as large a range as they would like is normally down to logistics and stock control rather than pushing you to certain brands ! a good company will always offer to provide a sample if possible given notice etc :) the only problem with infocus is that they only carry certain products and they do not keep the better brands such as leica and swarovski
which restricts a prospective buyers choice ( IMHO )

I definitely agree that In-Focus don't give impartial advice (well I suppose that's fair enough, they've gotta make a living).....They'll push Nikon and Opticron at you!
L.C.E. get out and about and they carry all the makes, not sure if A.C.E. of Bath do any dates at reserves.
Andy

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back