• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

O.hispanica or pleschanka? (1 Viewer)

solium

Slovakia, Dec 14, 2014

Thanks all.

Attachments

• birding_img_9ff3d877bdba39d85163d6b93cbf25ce.jpg
    birding_img_9ff3d877bdba39d85163d6b93cbf25ce.jpg
    90.2 KB · Views: 103
  • birding_img_21c920f5db4ca9ebda972cfbb9c803e6.jpg
    birding_img_21c920f5db4ca9ebda972cfbb9c803e6.jpg
    129.7 KB · Views: 86
  • birding_img_900809b8e3efaf5abf3c6948d421b1af.jpg
    birding_img_900809b8e3efaf5abf3c6948d421b1af.jpg
    90.9 KB · Views: 78
Last edited:
The upperparts appear to be of a greyish persuasion? I don't know how, or if it's possible with any certainty, to separate the two forms regarding females of this taxa? Historically as far as Slovakia is concerned, which form is the more regular? Either way, a very good late record solium.

Cheers

With us were not yet recorded no listed species. Only O.deserti. ID is difficult and even impossible (O.pleschanka, for me, maybe ...)

R.

Last edited:
hi solium,

very good record of a very difficult species pair, when not in breeding plumage. separating eastern black-eared from pied is difficult even in spring females as some pieds are paler and warmer coloured than the typical cold dark brown ones. this seems to be a 1st winter bird and i think the strong sunlight emphasizes warmer yellow tones, so i slightly adjusted colours. even though it doesn't have the darker breast of pied, to me upperparts (mantle) is grey enough and feathers from crown to lower back seem to show dark centers giving it a slightly scaled appearance which is what you have to look for in female (1st) winter pied. very long pp of around 100% doesn't differ much from EBEW which on average shows a very slightly shorter one.

Attachments

• birding_img_9ff3d877bdba39d85163d6b93cbf25ce.jpg
    birding_img_9ff3d877bdba39d85163d6b93cbf25ce.jpg
    84.3 KB · Views: 73
Last edited:
From what I have observed in Coastal Bulgaria where both species breed it is very hard to separate the two in this plumage, because they show a lot variation. Though if we have to compare to the ideal plumage of both species at this time of the year it better fits Pied Wheatear! They also stay later through the year, which statistically increases the chance for this individual to be Pied.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back