• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Video "wind shake" vs Panasonic image stabilization? (1 Viewer)

Paul - Herts

Paul Herts
Simply put, I mainly use a Canon 70D with a 400 f5.6 and n a slight breeze I can see 'wobble' in the recordings - in a stronger breeze the video becomes unusable. If I swap over and use my SX50 bridge camera I can get vibration free video but of a much lower quality. I am guessing that the i.s. of the SX50 is compensating for the vibration, plus the camera is much smaller and therefore less susceptible to air flow.

Sooooo.....anybody had any experience of shooting video with one of the Panasonic cameras with IBIS? I am contemplating the GX8 and Metabones smart adapter but don't know how the stabilizer would work for tripod mounted filming and whether it would make any difference as the lens would be the same.

Or any alternative suggestions?

Paul

My experience goes a long way back using a Canon EX1 high 8,this would take Canon 35mm lenses giving some thin like a 5.6 crop factor,as you can imagine it was quiet twitchy.
The only way i could sort it was something like this http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Long-Zoom-Lens-Bracket-Support-for-Camera-Quick-Release-Plate-Tripod-Mount-Ring-/161860708220?hash=item25afa6677c:g:RzoAAOSwymxVNL9q

A tripod that was nearly too heavy to carry,with a bag suspended underneath full of sand/bricks or what ever was to hand.

Well, that's interesting Mike. Not sure how I would attach it to my fluid head - will have a look on a full size screen once I am properly awake.

I did consider a heavier tripod too or possibly a carbon fibre version

Thanks Paul

Purpose designed video tripods tend to be braced differently, weigh more and use a different head levelling system.

Look at this site for a fairly full range of goodies. Obviously if you are just shooting normal to wide angle you can get away with a straightforward tripod, but as you go longer more anti rotational flexing bracing is useful.

http://cvp.com/index.php?t=category//tripods+||26+support/tripod+legs//1///////video

This company tends to stock what people use for serious work, including lightweight stuff which won't cure your problem, but the site may be of interest to you.

I once had a really heavy, 'proper' video tripod - as you can see it is in past tense. The videos were rock steady under just about any condition, however I was too wimpy to drag the thing everywhere and I no longer have really long video lenses. Life is full of compromises.

Last edited:
Thanks Ivel, I suspected that a more appropriate tripod was the best solution but like you I'm not keen on carrying the added weight. Still, if that is the only solution then it might have to be. I like watching waders on English beaches and they're not the stillest of places at the best of times.

I've also downloaded and started reading the GX8 manual and the IBIS doesn't work when recording video with adapters so that's that idea nipped in the bud :smoke:

Paul

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back