• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Baltimore Oriole and Eastern Bluebird Habitat (1 Viewer)

Pat11

Hi. I have a question I'm hoping you guys can answer. Last year I moved into a suburban neighborhood. Behind my backyard are woods and to the right of my backyard are woods and then houses. To the left of my backyard are houses. My backyard is about 3/4ths of an acre of open land with only 3 trees. I have a wooden fence all around the outside. The woods on the right are about 20 yards from my house. I didn't see a single bluebird or oriole in the one summer I've been here. I've asked a couple people if this could possibly be bluebird habitat and they've said no, that it's not enough land and not wide open enough. I figured you guys would know better so I'm asking you with the hope of receiving honest answers. Is this bluebird habitat or oriole habitat or neither? All help is extremely appreciated. By the way, I live in Binghamton, New York, if that matters.

Hi Pat,

I believe the fence might pose a problem for the Bluebirds. They do like a view(open spaces). As far as Orioles go, most Oriole nesting areas I've encountered where near water(river,stream). They can be found elsewhere, this just seems to be their preference. Look for their long, sack like nests in any open deciduous woodland.

dennis

Hi Pat,

The Bluebirds would like a little more open space but the open land would lend well to their nests not being invaded by House Sparrows. You should put a few houses up and give it a try. Putting out live meal worms as "bait" for the little blue jewels would not hurt at all. I have Orioles in the neighborhood and put orange halves on top of the fence posts in my yard. I hammered 1 finish nail into the top of a few posts, leaving 1/2 of the nail sticking up and just push the orange half onto the nail. Orioles, Red-bellied Woodpeckers, Catbirds and several others come throughout the summer months. I usually start putting them out in late April. I'm located in north eastern Massachusetts along the coast. I hope this helps and let us now how it works out for you.

Hello,
I believe you should be able to attract Orioles and I think you should give the Bluebirds a try. I have seen bluebirds checking out my yard but there are too many house sparrows in the area. The bluebirds do like open area so three trees should not be too much. Face the box away from the forest and toward open land. Bluebirds like to sit on a high spot and look for food that is on the ground. Orioles like to nest fairly high. They can be attracted to sugar water, grape jelly, and oranges.

Pat, I will put a picture of my oriole post set-up which is like the one described in the post of NE Birds Plus. Check the gallery or check the personal gallery of mkdon.

Hello Pat, I live in NC and have both bluebirds,and orioles. I do not see any problem with having a fence around your yard. My blues like to sit on our wooden fence and hunt insests. Make sure you have a bluebird certified nest box, and hang it away from any object that a perdator can jump to, or on the box from. Use a 8' metal pole to mount it on. Use a stove pipe baffle on the pole so predators cannot climb up to the box. For orioles put out half the amount of water as grape jam, or jelly. Blend it into a liquid. I have a oriole, yellow-rumped warbler, and a mockingbird that like this grape mix. Also try putting out a small cup or two of mealworms. All of them will come for these, as well as many other birds. After you do this keep your eyes peeled, as you will be in for a lot of action.

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back