• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Andy's Settings---Could use help (1 Viewer)

craig whitmore

[I'm trying to use Andy's settings . Have a Coopix 4500, Eagle Optics Raven straight through 20/60, Simplicity Tool swing out adapter.(which, I recall, was developed by a BF member), a Nikon remote cable, and am having the devils own time. at age 85 I have a mind like a steel trap. Everything goes in and I can't get anything back out.

1. Full Manual:
You choose shutter-speed and aperture value....you can judge if the photo will be over/under exposed by the linear exposure meter.
Question: Where on earth do I find the linear exposure meter?

AF Area Mode:
This refers to the Nikon AF zone system that presents five focus targets that you can choose from, in auto the camera will focus on the zone that has an object closest to the camera... in manual you can choose which zone the camera will focus on (via the mini joystick).

Where is the mini joystick?

2. A big problem seems to be lining up camera and scope using this adapter.
Question: When everthing is in alignment and I'm trying to focus using the scope (camera in macro mode) should I be seing the image as a circle in the middle of the monitor, or full sceen as if the scope were not there.? The circle I'm getting is so small I can't begin to focus.
TIA
Craig :egghead:

Last edited:
craig whitmore said:
[

Question: When everthing is in alignment and I'm trying to focus using the scope (camera in macro mode) should I be seing the image as a circle in the middle of the monitor, or full sceen as if the scope were not there.? The circle I'm getting is so small I can't begin to focus.
TIA
Craig

Craig, I don't use a Nikon so I can't help with the first question. I don't have a lot of digiscoping experience so I'm not sure I can really help with the second either, but I did use an EO Raven for some time and learned a bit about it with my Sony DSC W5.

1) Once you can see an image inside a crisp black circle (termed a vignette) you know your camera lens is the correct distance from the eyepiece lens. *If the edge of the circle is fuzzy move the camera toward or away from the eyepiece until it becomes crisp and sharp. It may be necessary to roll down the eyecup on the eyepiece to get the camera close enough to the eyepiece.

2) Now using the zoom on the camera zoom in until you can no longer see any part of the black circle, you only see the image as if you were looking through the scope. you should be able to see your target bird now, and you may find it easier to focus using the scope's focus knob. *I found that the sharpness of my images diminished as I zoomed in with the camera, so I mostly took photos at the zoom level where the vignette disappeared- on my sony, about 1.7x on the Raven.

3) Last night I realized that for focusing I can zoom way in (on the camera still) and fine tune the focus, then zoom back out to 1.7x to press the sutter. *This assures me that I achieved good focus on a subject that only occupies 25 or so pixels in the LCD screen.

4) It is fine to leave some of the vignette in the photo, you can always crop it out later and as a big benefit it allows faster shutter speeds by using less zoom.

I hope this helps.

Jon
Davis, CA

How-to

Craig,do you have a manual for the 4500.If you do I will try to help you.Im about to try this myself,I beleave the joystick is the plastic button just below the screen next to the word (SET) As I learn it I will let you Know.
D.J.
--------------------------
craig whitmore said:
[I'm trying to use Andy's settings . Have a Coopix 4500, Eagle Optics Raven straight through 20/60, Simplicity Tool swing out adapter.(which, I recall, was developed by a BF member), a Nikon remote cable, and am having the devils own time. at age 85 I have a mind like a steel trap. Everything goes in and I can't get anything back out.

1. Full Manual:
You choose shutter-speed and aperture value....you can judge if the photo will be over/under exposed by the linear exposure meter.

AF Area Mode:
This refers to the Nikon AF zone system that presents five focus targets that you can choose from, in auto the camera will focus on the zone that has an object closest to the camera... in manual you can choose which zone the camera will focus on (via the mini joystick).

TIA

Help

:t: Craig, Quick reference for cp4500 go here.
www.shortcourses.com Pick No8 Digital Camera Pocket Guides // Nikon Guides/Nikon cool pix 4500 (pdf) file.
DownLoad it.
D.J.
Site reference from, Brian Bullough.

craig whitmore said:

1. Full Manual:

AF Area Mode:

TIA

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back