• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Leupold Yosemite 8x30 (1 Viewer)

FrankD said:
specs for the 8x30 Yosemite.
Linear FOV 393'
Eye Relief 14mm
Close Focus Distance 16.4

Isn't it a sorry state of affairs that in our era of bino opulence that there are so few good inexpensive porros (especially 8x mid-size) that a bino with these unremarkable specs can generate so much interest?

Now we just need someone to do a comparison between this new Leupold and the new Celestron 8x32 Ultima DX which claims better optical specs (429' FOV, 16 mm eye-relief, 10 ft close focus) and costs $20 more. Maybe the review could also include the Bushnell 8x30 Natureview Plus.
--AP

The downside of the Ultima DX is the weight, it is listed at a full 30 ounces! Quite hefty for a 32mm porro these days. Still, I think their main market for the Ultima line may be astronomers, and its weight is probably competitive with some of the Fujinons and Oberwerks out there.

Edit: If the weight is due to oversized prisms the view may be worth it.

I am beginning to see the limits of 30mm roofs. They work for me on even slightly brighter days, but when it is pretty cloudy all day, like today, there are limits. My 8x40 porro did not do much better. So is an 8x30 porro in this price class going to be as amazing as the 6x30 was? I think the 8x30 will seem much more ordinary.

Possibly Tero. I have a bit of reservation of how the quality level at this price point is going to play out with an 8x bin in comparison the 6x already offered. If they can maintain the image quality in terms of sharpness and size of sweet spot, as well as quality control, then I think they will have a winner. They aren't going to rival the $1000 8x32 roofs but they should compete well against anything under $600 easily in terms of image quality.

I finally found a retailer that has the 8x30s in stock. I have a pair of the natural colors on their way and should be able to comment on them shortly.

You guys are killin' me. Talk about a group of binocuholics. :)

I might as well order a pair of Celestron Ultima DXs too while I am at it, right?

;)

FrankD said:
You guys are killin' me. Talk about a group of binocuholics. :)

I might as well order a pair of Celestron Ultima DXs too while I am at it, right?

;)

might as well. i dont think i'll carry 30 ounces around though...

Action Ex 10x50 is 36 oz.
my 8x40 is 30 oz
I will carry 28-30 0z, though, if it is worth it

Last edited:
Tero said:
Action Ex 10x50 is 36 oz.
my 8x40 is 30 oz
I will carry 28-30 0z, though, if it is worth it

its a good thing i dont like 10x! ;)

you might have the forearm strength, but my arms are like spindly string beans lol

I try to compare a few bins inside, but nothing compares to the outside. It is only thursday...saturday would be good.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back