• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Where is the best places to go on the North Island? (1 Viewer)

Mostly Autumn

Where are the best places to go on the North Island?

I intend to visit family in the near future on the North Island but I'm having trouble finding the best places to go to.All the best tours seem to be on the South Island and I don't think I'll be able to convince the wife and kids to travel there.I shall try but I'm not holding much hope.Any tips from anyone who has been.

Hi Mostly Autumn and welcome to Bird Forum from all the Staff and Moderators

I'm sure someone will be along shortly with some information for you

D

Here's a reply from the West Island (Australia). One place not to be missed is Tiri Tiri Maitangi Island, a short boat rife from Auckland.

Here's another bit of information that sounds absolutely amazing but throws up another question.What month of the year would be nesting season for these Penguins?

But the BEST the absolute BEST were the little spotted penguin houses. On a path through the bush right beside the beach, there are little rectangular wooden lids with handles, sitting on what look like stone cairns. If you lift up the lid and look down, you see a sheet of Plexiglas set into the stone over the nest of a little spotted penguin, complete with little spotted penguin on grassy nest warming up her eggs. DOC built about six of these rocky caves (that we could see) with a small tunneled entry point facing the sea, and the little spotted penguins swim in, take a liking to a tunnel and take up residence during nesting season. They seem to have gotten quite used to people lifting up the lids and peering in on their egg-sitting.

Taken from here.
http://www.slowtrav.com/newzealand/tiritiri_matangi.htm

North Island

Mostly Autumn said:
I intend to visit family in the near future on the North Island but I'm having trouble finding the best places to go to.All the best tours seem to be on the South Island and I don't think I'll be able to convince the wife and kids to travel there.I shall try but I'm not holding much hope.Any tips from anyone who has been.

Hi,
Spent three months (both islands) there in autumn of last year.On North Island we visited the following for birds:
Ambury Regional Park on Manukau Harbour
Waitakere Regional Park
Muriwai Beach
Tiri Tiri Matangi
Firth of Thames
Sulphur Point,Rotorua
Pureora State Forest
Whakamaru Ponds
Mt Ruapehu
Ruatiti River
Foxton Estuary
Kapiti Island
Nga Manu
Korori Reserve,Wellington
Manawatu Estuary
Plimmerton Inlets
Upper Hutt River
Pauatahanni Inlets
Maungakotukutuku Reserve
Otaki Beach and lagoons.
But don`t miss Kaikoura and the rest of South Island when you will be so close.Feel free to get in touch if you want all the details and I`ll do what I can.

Mostly Autumn said:

Hi Mostly Autumn
From Layzeboy, One of the other member of bird form has ask if I can help with your question on NZ Birds North Island up until a month ago I was running birding trips in the South Island NZ, buy at present I am on photograph assignment in Botswana SA. I have ask a NZ friend if they maybe able to help you with this matter. Will get back to you in the next day or to. Regards Kevin

Thank you so much everyone,funnily enough I've been obsessing over Kaikoura the last few days and my wife is up for it now,coincidently I've already made my mind up to go there.Thanks for the links,I was thinking of flying into Nelson and taking the Tranzcoastal rail service to Kaikoura,doing a bit of whale and albatross watching before heading back to Hamilton.The opportunity would be too good to miss.Is the train route easily accessible from the Airport?
My only concern is I'll be there in Winter (August) because we have to take the school holidays due to work commitments and I know these boat trips can be cancelled if the weather is bad.It'll be a while before I go but I have to get everything straight in my head before I set off,Kaikoura is a must now along with some of the places mentioned on the North Island and I can't thank you enough for taking time out to answer my questions. B :)

Last edited:
little spotted penguin,is this the correct name for them because I can't find any information on the web?
That's some list angelquasar a lot of them are easily accessible to me,thanks.

Will get back to you in the next day or to. Regards Kevin

Thanks Kev and Bubbs. B :)

Penguin

Mostly Autumn said:
little spotted penguin,is this the correct name for them because I can't find any information on the web?
That's some list angelquasar a lot of them are easily accessible to me,thanks.

Thanks Kev and Bubbs. B :)
Look under Little Blue Penguin.

North Island birds

Thought you might like to read a short report of a trip I did around the North Island in May 2005, as it may give you a feel for the sort of places you can go to. Bear in mind May isn't prime season either, and it was primarily a holiday with my wife and a three month old baby. NZ is certainly a place where it's easy to combine a birding and non birding holiday as there aren't enough birds to keep you busy all day in most places. August will be prime time for good seabirds. The South Island scenery is great - you should be able to persuade any non birder to go there!

We have just returned from a fortnight on the north island of New Zealand. From a birding perspective it was a good trip, seeing all 13 of the possible new birds. Weather wise it wasn't so great, with the last few days marred by rain. But as Tauranga had 309mm of rain in 24 hours at that time, and the township of Matata (near a good birding site) got pretty much eliminated by mudslides, our inconvenience was pretty minor.

After some time in Auckland we did a day trip to Tiritiri Matangi Island. Rushing off up the trails before the masses got there proved effective, with Red fronted Parakeet, Saddleback, Stitchbird and NZ Robin seen in no time, together with commoner species like Bellbird, Whitehead and Tui. It's hard to know what birds you can legitimately count on Tiritiri. I drew the line at Takahe - seeing flightless birds reintroduced to a small island is really like seeing them in a zoo. Ditto the Brown Teal. Saddlebacks on the other hand are clearly thriving and have been there for about fifteen years. Others like Kokako, which we saw several of later in the day, are a bit more borderline. In any case I saw all but Takahe, Saddleback and Stitchbird again on the mainland. Unfortunately light rain meant the photo opportunities weren't great.

Next we had a couple of days in northland. Driving into Paihia I stopped and had a look at some waders, and got the first of several NZ Dotterels of the trip, which had eluded me on previous visits to NZ. Later on we did the tourist boat trip out to the Hole in the Rock. There were lots of Buller's Shearwaters out there, together From there we went to Aroha Island north of Kerikeri (which is connected to the mainland by a causeway), and I went looking for kiwis that evening with the manager's son as a guide. During the course of a couple of hours walking around the island we heard about 4 or 5 kiwis feeding in the bushes, but only saw one. It appeared on the track in front of us, and after turning torches on it looked at us then ran away along the track. The views weren't fantastic, partly because they use weak lights with a red filter to minimise disturbance to the birds.

Next day produced more Brown Kiwis. I went out to an island with Department of Conservation people to change the radiotracking devices on a couple of birds. We recovered two adult males as well as an adult female that had just hatched a young bird. Next morning a visit to Helena Bay produced about 50 Brown Teal, a fair portion of the mainland population.

Next birding stop was Pureora Forest. The plan had been to spend an afternoon there, and then the following morning be at nearby Mapara Reserve at dawn, which is supposed to be the best place to see non-reintroduced Kokako at the moment. But I had a stroke of luck on the first afternoon when I found the one Kokako that still lives in the accessible part of Pureora sitting on top of a tree calling. I also had brief looks at a couple of Kaka. So next day I returned to Pureora, and had a brief look at a Yellow fronted Parakeet, plus a few other endemics such as NZ Robin and Tomtit.

From there we headed south to Ohakune. A late afternoon trip to Ruatiti eventually produced two Blue Ducks though it was getting dark by the time I found them. Next day some walks around Tongariro NP produced a male Rifleman. Whilst not a new bird for me it meant I had now seen representatives of all three endemic NZ bird families on the trip.

And from there we headed north via Taupo, ticking NZ Dabchick, to Rotorua where we picked up the final bird I was looking for, Black billed Gull. The weather started getting worse at this point. On our way back to Auckland we added Fernbird near Rotorua, and various waders including Wrybill at Miranda.

In the end I saw a total of 79 species, including 20 introduced species. I think the only endemics I could have seen but missed were Spotted Shag and NZ Falcon, both of which I had seen previously anyway.

Last edited:
Hi,

North island has also good areas.
Tiritiri Matangi already recommended ( high chance for Takahe ).
End of the year nearly 3.000 Australian Gannets breed on rocks at Muriway beach ( near Auckland ).
In Whirinaki forest ( Te Urewera ) is high chance for Northern Kaka ( also tallest trees of NZ are there, Kahikatea ).
Northern part of Te Urewera has the highest Kokako population of NZ.
But You have to start very early and You need a fine sunny day, which is very hard to find in the biggest deepland rainforest of the North island.

Buy the way, do not forget Stewart island and Ulva island.

Best regards
Dieter

When you going?

Hi Mostly
Have you decided when you're coming yet?
Could maybe give bit of help and local contact when
you're here. Several other birders here at our
place, from NZ, UK and Canada. Pleased to help.
So, when you coming?
Rewi

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back