• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Dave's Tablet (1 Viewer)

Lost the plot on this one a bit I feel, went for the hyper-detailed look, and as a result, it's lost a bit of life. Ah well, learn and move on!

Oh, it's a White-throated Kingfisher, for those who like to know names!

It's very impressive- what's the technique you are using on e.g. the fluffy flank feathers? Can I see some almost scraperboardy white lines cutting across the dark shading there?

It's very impressive- what's the technique you are using on e.g. the fluffy flank feathers? Can I see some almost scraperboardy white lines cutting across the dark shading there?

Was wondering the same thing, surely white scroper board..?

Was wondering what pens you were using too....

Lovely black and white work Dave, love this type of thing personally.

Was wondering the same thing, surely white scroper board..?

Was wondering what pens you were using too....

Lovely black and white work Dave, love this type of thing personally.

Ah the beauty of the tablet and Photoshop! I use a white background, draw using a fine black 'brush', then erase using a similarly fine nib; this has the effect of creating white lines, and the end result is very much like scraperboard, only much simpler.

Ah the beauty of the tablet and Photoshop! I use a white background, draw using a fine black 'brush', then erase using a similarly fine nib; this has the effect of creating white lines, and the end result is very much like scraperboard, only much simpler.
Pah! - Crikey Ed - ddin't you know that, eh? ;)
(Er - so it's a computer, is it?)

Continuing the b & w theme, this is a scene I didn't quite see the other day!

I mean, I saw the Peregrine chasing waders, and I saw a Marsh Sandpiper flying around, and I saw plenty of rain, but it only came together in my head afterwards.

Dave

Attachments

• Peregrine_ and _ Marsh Sand3 copy.jpg
    Peregrine_ and _ Marsh Sand3 copy.jpg
    291.7 KB · Views: 130
  • Peregrine3 copy.jpg
    Peregrine3 copy.jpg
    377 KB · Views: 118
  • Marsh Sand3 copy.jpg
    Marsh Sand3 copy.jpg
    158 KB · Views: 104
I envy all those who can do black and white line work, I can just about manage using a biro like a pencil or black and white paint, but when it comes to balancing solid black lines and solid white lines to make an image I just can't do it. All these recent ones are truly inspirational.

OOOH.....! I'm lovin this one Dave , Subject reall close to my heart!!
And the black and white treatment is just great.Great Idea Too.

Bugger wish I'd thought of it!

OOOH.....! I'm lovin this one Dave , Subject reall close to my heart!!
And the black and white treatment is just great.Great Idea Too.

Bugger wish I'd thought of it!

Thanks Andrew

Bit nervous of straying onto 'your territory' with this one, especially as it has the Andrew Ellis Patented Blurry Wingtips!

Dave

PS You're very welcome to do the colour version!

Thanks Andrew

Bit nervous of straying onto 'your territory' with this one, especially as it has the Andrew Ellis Patented Blurry Wingtips!

Dave

PS You're very welcome to do the colour version!

Hey Dave , don't have exclusivity over them. ;) any how you should
do the colour version . Would love to see it:t:

Was this a Calidus Type Peregrine?

Hey Dave , don't have exclusivity over them. ;) any how you should
do the colour version . Would love to see it:t:

Was this a Calidus Type Peregrine?

Hi Andrew,

More a mark of respect to a great sifu as we say in this part of the world! Yes, I think it must have been one of that group japonensis/calidus, owing to the broad moustachial.

As you may have guessed by now I tend to shy away from colour cos I am really not that confident in my technique....excuses, excuses. But I am learning a lot from the likes of you, Tim, Nick and others. I'm off to the UK in 2 days, for 6 weeks, to enjoy the delights of the English winter, so a painting may have to wait a while!

Thanks

Dave

Going through my old photos of the last time we were in UK, back in 2005, I came across this little project - acryllic on Dorset pebble, seen in its native habitat, on Hengistbury Head beach!

Dave

Attachments

• Rock art1.jpg
    Rock art1.jpg
    201.2 KB · Views: 133
  • Rock art.jpg
    Rock art.jpg
    171.7 KB · Views: 111
Going through my old photos of the last time we were in UK, back in 2005, I came across this little project - acryllic on Dorset pebble, seen in its native habitat, on Hengistbury Head beach!

Dave

Nice design - huge market for little ornaments such as this - very desirable (when done nicely).
Oh - and I came across this example of your 'struggle with colour'. http://www.birdforum.net/gallery/showphoto.php/photo/119310/ppuser/17754
I look forward to the day when I have the same problems!!!

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back