• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Why is it that................... (1 Viewer)

clydeboy

(possibly a new birder thing)....................Why?, When you see a new bird and get all excited, telling everyone and showing off, do you then become that particular birds' "stalkee"?
I saw a redpoll for the first time last week and was well chuffed that I had got a couple of i.d. shots, and to be honest was well impressed by my latest "tick"
However, every time I have gone out since, they seem to be following me everywhere, posing and pouting.:t:
It was the same with the stonechats and the heron..........everytime I go out it's almost "morning Ian" and it is brilliant.
I've stuck on a couple of this mornings shots, which to be honest is really just to share them as I was quite chuffed with the results, without a great deal of effort I might add.
The loch is completely frozen this morning apart from around the wee jetty where the swan held me captive previously, which meant that all of the birds were congregated in the one place and I could get a good look at them, which was great.
We had the usual gulls, swans, coots, moorhens, canada geese, mallards, tufties and goldeneye but alas no sign of the previously seen Goosanders which was a shame as I could have got some great "close shots".
Still haven't found the Grebes yet either, but they apparently skulk about in one of the marshier areas.
This is now beginning to sound like a diary.:t: Sadly though, work is sure to take over at some point as my priorities are all wrong at the minute. :-O:-O:t:

Ian.

Attachments

• IMG_0122 Correction.jpg
    IMG_0122 Correction.jpg
    87.7 KB · Views: 67
  • IMG_0124 Correction.jpg
    IMG_0124 Correction.jpg
    84.9 KB · Views: 66
  • IMG_0108 Correction.jpg
    IMG_0108 Correction.jpg
    104.1 KB · Views: 52
It's like if you go out and buy a red Ford Mondeo you'll suddenly notice just how many people buy red Ford Mondeos.

It's just a "the way the mind works" thing.

I have to agree ...... after I seen my first bullfinch out walking the dog last year ...... I now seem them pretty much daily.

Im going on an organised bittern walk tomorrow ..... perhaps/maybe .... nah cant see me spotting them daily somehow!!

Birding! It's like a whole new world has opened up. I often wonder "Were these birds always here?" I realise that I must have been missing such a lot.

Last edited:
you probably didn't notice them before you started birdwatching, and as soon as you noticed it as a redpoll and not just as a plain bird, you saw more and more. The same happened with me with my first blackcap - after seeing one a few years ago, the next day I saw a whole load of them.

Birding! It's like a whole new world has opened up. I often wonder "Were these birds always here?" I realise that I must have been missing such a lot.

Definitely - amazing how much is around that you ignore until you start birdwatching and open your eyes! I never knew where I live is full of redwings, fieldfares, goldcrests and other great things - I didn't see any until this year after I started actively looking for birds and now they're everywhere, some even in my neighbourhood.

How did I miss these before! |8.| |:D|

Definitely - amazing how much is around that you ignore until you start birdwatching and open your eyes! I never knew where I live is full of redwings, fieldfares, goldcrests and other great things - I didn't see any until this year after I started actively looking for birds and now they're everywhere, some even in my neighbourhood.

How did I miss these before! |8.| |:D|

Totally agree, my wife continually gives me a row for looking up into trees and bushes, but I can't help it..:t:
On the other hand though, I got a pm from a fellow birder who has been birding for 14 years and has been around Broadwood loch several times looking for redpolls yet it remains a species that he has yet to see.

AND

I bet that if he walked round with me, on that day there would be no redpolls to be seen..lol

How does the twighlight zone tune go again....:-O

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back