• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Most difficult African birds (1 Viewer)

Fortunately this is staked-out at Bale Mountains NP.

Fantastic picture, didnt know they are twitchable now, never seen a real live one!

Most of the flufftails are really tough, more due to nature than low population

Last edited:
didnt know they are twitchable now, never seen a real live one!

Dear Paul,

It seems to be quite fairly in Bale Mountains; not 100% but high chances to find one if you make the effort of a night drive overthere...

Certainly not a bird for my "mega-tough-African-birds" list :).

Perhaps because no-one has asked us to move it ;)

It's too difficult for me to know where it's best placed, so let me know and I'll oblige.
Hi Delia

I'd say same place as Larry Lade's "Have you seen this..." thread lives but can't recall where that is...

After all...if we can't have order in the taxonomy section what hope is there? :D

McM

Hi Delia

I'd say same place as Larry Lade's "Have you seen this..." thread lives but can't recall where that is...

After all...if we can't have order in the taxonomy section what hope is there? :D

McM

That'd be Birds and Birding then. OK I've had 3 votes for that forum, so I'll shift it there then.

I don't know much about African birds, but I think you could see any othese within a week at known sites:

Brown Nightjar
Grauer's/African Green Broadbill
Green-breasted Pitta
White-winged Apalis
Winifred's Warbler
Long-billed Forest Warbler
Turner's Eremomela
Usambara Hyliota
Ibadan Malimbe
Sao Tome Grosbeak

cheers, a

Green-breasted Pitta, is easy to find in Bwindi forest South Western park of Uganda, also home to the mountain gorillas in Africa.

How about Dusky Tetraka on Madagascar. Lots of cases of mistaken identity, as its almost certainly not in Masoala NP.

A bird with a massive distribution that doesn't seem to feature on standard tours much is Kordofan Bush Lark. I'm guessing its common enough, just that no one goes out to Sudan, Mali, Mauritania etc looking for it!

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back