• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Car spotting (1 Viewer)

Also had Snow Goose and Quail from the car in the flatlands on Lancashire (on different days mind).

James

Wonderful. :t:

Not from a car but best birds I've seen from buses were Marsh Harriers hunting on the marshes next to the coast road around Cley, which was a fantastic beginning to my holiday.

Actually... thinking about it I 'have' been sat in a car at Wallasea Island watching flocks of Corn Buntings and hunting Hen Harriers and Short-eared Owls all in the same view. That was rather cool!

Suprising how much I've seen from the car when I think about it,a couple of years back I saw Black Guilemots at Oban before we parked up and saw Golden Eagle,Hen harrier and Osprey on the way there and back.
I think I've seen just about every Bird of prey/Owl that I've seen from the car at some point.
Ross's Goose and Shore Lark are a couple of others that spring to mind,Spent ages walking round looking for the Shore Lark then just as I got back in the car and started to pull away I noticed it was sat right next to us.

Speaking of Black Grouse in Teesdale, I dont remember actually seeing one outside of a car.

A Southern Cassowary crossing the road at sunset on the road to Etty Bay in Queensland... it strolled past my car. I could have touched it!
Carlos

Ditto, Carlos!

And I've seen many fantastic birds in Oz from cars, and a few in Thailand too, including Pied harrier, to return to the original post.

c20 barnacle geese seen in a field next to the motorway near Salem between Stockholm and Södertälje yesterday. Glad my colleague was driving!

Had Honey Buzzard in Norfolk from a car (car wasn't moving at the time but I was still in the car ;)). Most bizarre I guess were two self found escaped raptors, a Red-tailed Hawk from a coach, and a Harris's Hawk from a car.

Found quite a few flocks of Waxwings from cars during invasion years

I suppose it helps that I don't drive and it's always someone else driving the car ;)

Oh and Great White Egret at Blashford in Hants from the car was pretty decent, and Stone Curlew at a site in the Brecks

Keep adding more as I remember them ;)

2 Rough-legged Buzzards, several Hen and Marsh Harriers, Short-eared and Barn Owl, Whooper Swans (including a Black Swan flying in one Whooper flock bizarrely!) and Merlin all in one day, all seen from car as well as out of it on Sheppey quite a few years back - that was one of the best days I think in this country from the car!

Last edited:
Which reminds me that I've had a White-backed Woodie in front of the car in the Spanish Pyrenees- also a tick and better for not knowing that they were there.

Why is that woodpecker so big, where are its scapular patches and why is its back and rump white was how the conversation went.

That's an absolute mega car tick - I've dipped that population every time I've tried for them

This week driving to the UK through France when a Black Woodpecker flew across the front of the car. Made my hair stand on end, not many birds do that.

Found several good birds from cars on Shetland: Little Bunting, Icterine Warbler, Barred Warbler, Golden Oriole & Red-backed Shrike immediately spring to mind. And seen many more that I knew were there (i.e. twitched) from the comfort of a car when it was too windy to get out!

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back