• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

disease to chaffinches legs (1 Viewer)

Val & Rex

Good morning all.
For the past month we have had a disabled chaffinch feeding in our garden,its legs are white and twisted,and it moves around on its breast with wing assistance, this morning I noticed another chaffinch with white puffy legs,as yet it can still walk as normal, can anyone put a name to this disease or have seen the same in other species.
Regards
Rex.

Yes,a name for this is I think"Bumblefoot".I have just seen a shot of this posted on our local Flickr site,horrid.Also looks as though the bird had some growths on the forehead.

Yes,a name for this is I think"Bumblefoot".I have just seen a shot of this posted on our local Flickr site,horrid.Also looks as though the bird had some growths on the forehead.

Bumblefoot is a disease that is most commonly found in Dunnocks, and exhibits as large swellings (which can be quite gross) rather than the flaky white excrescence on the Chaffinches.

Bumblefoot is a disease that is most commonly found in Dunnocks, and exhibits as large swellings (which can be quite gross) rather than the flaky white excrescence on the Chaffinches.

Thanks Jon,I was quoting from a pic posted on my local site,and the the guy said it was Bumblefoot(a Chaffinch)
So looks like he is wrong,I'll copy the info from higher up the thread.

Orrible,

Doctor diagnosed me with scabies once, had a rash all over & had to paint myself with lindane. It didn't work so I got to thinking what i'd done that was different recently.

I'd just moved into a new house & the bathroom was nearer than the kitchen to my bedroom.

I'd been drinking from the bathroom tap at night, a bit of investigation revealed the bathroom water supply came from the tank in the attic.....

...Which contained a dead pidgeon.:gn:

Native birds here are starting to get "scaly-leg mange", from introduced birds. Perhaps a same/similar knemidokoptic mite thing?

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back