• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Abuse and amazement at the Riverside (1 Viewer)

pstraughan

Does anyone remember a line from the musical "Oklahoma" - the farmer and the cowboy should be friends? That's how I feel about birdwatchers and dog-walkers, though maybe I'm going the wrong way about it.

There have been a few anti-dog rants on this forum. This isn't one of them - I would just like dog-walkers to take notice of their pets' behaviour and if they are causing annoyance. I've been nipped by dogs before, so I never make a fuss of or attempt to touch an animal that I don't know.

Usually I avoid birdwatching at places where I know there will be a lot of dogs. However, at Riverside Country Park in Kent, I've only come across well-behaved dogs and courteous owners - until today.

Apparently, telling a dog to go away (quietly) and not patting it when it is persisently sniffing you and pushing with its nose is justification for calling someone a b* misery and a b* ugly old b*. The old bit really got me - I'm not drawing my pension yet! Coming from someone dressed like a chav, that was a bit rich, but I wasn't going to argue with a woman who had 3 dogs with her.

I was so upset, I wanted to come home, but my husband persuaded me to walk on a bit further. It was gloomy, foggy and low tide along by the river. But then - Waxwings!!!! I've long thought that I'm the only person on this forum never to have seen one. Not just one - about 30, feeding in the (alder?) trees. No pics I'm afraid. The light was too poor and I hadn't taken the camera with me but good, prolonged views nevertheless.

That cheered me up of course. My celebration was akin to a footballer scoring a goal. Waxwings have been in my top 5 most wanted list for ages. Added to another lifer - the Black-necked Grebe that I saw at Sevenoaks yesterday, this has been a brilliant birding week. Miserable weather and foul-mouthed chavs, do your worst!

Happy New Year to everyone.

Pat

Some people, Pat, shouldn't have dogs if they have no idea how to control them. I personally love dogs & if it's friendly I'll make a fuss of it. Only if the owner says I can if it's on a lead. Dogs seem to like me too.
Brilliant you saw the Waxwings to make up for that very ignorant dog owner.
I have never ever seen a Waxwing, BTW.

Apparently some people are so stupid ... they don't realize just how stupid they are!!! :-/

Pay no attention to their rude behaviour! You were rewarded for YOUR graciousness with Waxwings and a Grebe!

As a former dog owner (lost my whippet in August 2008) I can only apologise for the numptie-like behaviour and ill manners of a lot of dog owners :-C It drives me nuts when I see and hear of others being so ignorant and arrogant towards other outdoor-users. I always had my Tina on the lead whenever there were other folk around as not everyone is a dog lover and some are even scared of them....I always cleaned up after her and would happily carry that poo bag until I found a bin to put it in - it disgusts me when I see the bags tied in tree branches or just left on the ground :C It gives all dog owners a bad name and it's the good ones who suffer when anti-dog legislation comes in banning us from certain areas....the arrogant bad owners just ignore the rules and go where they want anyway! :C

Try not to let the behaviour of this piece of worthless chav scum upset you Pat - personally I would happily line them all up against a wall and shoot them.....and before anyone shouts at me for being so horrible: I was once attacked in broad daylight by three of them and they stole my binoculars and telescope AND had the misfortune to live on the Meadowell estate between 2002 - 2004 with these Missing Link Parasites as neighbours so I'm not the most sympathetic to their yobbish antisocial world-owes-them-a-living behaviour :-C

Seeing a Black-necked Grebe AND Waxwings would certainly make my day out birding too mind :t: Haven't seen the former this year but twice had the waxwings o:)

I have never seen a Waxwing either, Pat! Well done!

Sorry the outing was marred by the ignorant behaviour of an idiot.

I've not seen a Waxwing either (although came very close the other week!) so lucky you Pat! Sounds like a bad experience with that chav though.

I know what you mean about some dog-walkers - I like dogs and my family used to have a lovely dog when I was young and although some people out and about with dogs are very careful with their charges the actions of a seemingly increasing proportion of owners does have a very negative impact. I try hard not to be grumpy about dogs but it's hard when you get a series of aggressive dogs growling and barking at you or wet, muddy dogs jumping all over you while the owner completely ignores what's going on.

I've met some amazingly well behaved dogs (and owners) though, just that the bad ones overshadow them. |:(|

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back