• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Garden / Yard List 2015 (1 Viewer)

52. Swift
Two flew over this morning. Still waiting for Hobbys and Spotted Flycatchers!

Yep, and I'm still waiting to see Hobby, Spotted flycatcher AND Swift.
It's been all rain, snow melt filled rivers and landslides this weekend in Haute-Savoie.
Still, in a brief lull between déluges this morning a solitary :

68 Alpine Swift

zooming about, until the cloud and mist 'swallowed' it up again - geddit?

Hit the 100 mark today with a combination of arriving migrants, a fly-over Great White Egret (4th record for my land) ...and a wandering Feral Pigeon!

93. Great White Egret.
94. Common Tern.

95. Feral Pigeon.
96. Eurasian Wryneck. Late arrival for this species!
97. House Martin.
98. River Warbler.
99. Savi's Warbler.
First record for my land.
100. Lesser Whitethroat.

Savi's Warbler is another monument to the Beavers! Ten years ago the area in which it was singing was wet woodland with a canopy, today it is an expanding reedbed open to the skies, a Bittern booming earlier in the spring, Sedge Warblers breeding over the last three years (yet to arrive this year)

Last edited:
Spring feels very late here, many birds yet to appear in any numbers ...but just checked and, remarkably, also reached 100 species on 3 May last year!

Migration over the last week in the yard:

77. Barn Swallow
78. White-crowned Sparrow
79. Least Flycatcher
80. Ovenbird
81. Great Crested Flycatcher
82. Yellow-throated Vireo
83. Wood Thrush
84. Northern Waterthrush
85. Black-and-white Warbler
86. Black-throated Green Warbler
87. Rose-breasted Grosbeak
88. Baltimore Oriole
89. Warbling Vireo
90. Nashville Warbler
91. Northern Parula
92. Blackburnian Warbler
93. Bobolink

And, at last:

65: Swift....

heading south!

Saw my first Common Swifts today too, but at least 20 miles away from the garden. Still, I found a fairly rare bird down near Geneva, a feldegg Yellow Wagtail with at least 30 thungbergi types, a reward for getting soaked to the skin, I'm sure I'm developing webbed feet!

Hi everyone , here is my update since my last posting on Friday 17th April:
37) Greylag Geese - 2 flying west over field behind house
38) c 70 Lesser black backed Gulls, circling overhead and over fields
39) 3 Herring Gulls in the flock above in 38

Spring feels very late here, many birds yet to appear in any numbers ...but just checked and, remarkably, also reached 100 species on 3 May last year!

Same here Jos, thought it had been a slow spring but just looked at last year and I brought up my ton on the 7th May and this year it was the 4th May, bit of a surprise! Just missed out by about 100yds on getting RL Buzzard onto my list as well....

94 Yellowhammer
95 Jay
96 Buzzard
97 Lesser Whitethroat
98 Cuckoo
99 Whinchat
100 Red-breasted Merganser
101 Arctic Tern
102 Swift

So much for ''little chance'' (my last post), being battered by gusting winds all day! with chairs, feeders and shrub pots (one holding a 7' Horse Chestnut tree being blown over for the first time, ''borne on the wind''...called twice distantly...Cuckoo!! No.65.

What a great bird to see pottering around in your garden Edward! What are the blue flowers called?

I'm ashamed to say I'm not really sure what they are. Same garden, Dan. Still Golden Plovers absolutely everywhere at the moment.
Surely one of the forms of Chionadoxa, also known as "Glory in Snow" for its habit of blooming very early in spring. We've got it all over the place too, we just call it by the generic latin name.

From the last couple of days:

94. Black-throated Blue Warbler
95. Winter Wren
96. Gray Catbird
97. Chestnut-sided Warbler
98. Scarlet Tanager
99. Ruby-throated Hummingbird

Visited Turkey April 12th to 26th staying at my house in Yesilkent near Didim. Unfortunately both myself and my wife spent most of the time with rancid chest infections and the weather was clear and settled after the first two days. Species 1-21 on days 1-2(after this useless for migrants). I got the following species on the 2015 house list however.

1. Yellow legged gull
2. Corn Bunting
3. House Sparrow
4. Hooded Crow
5. Collared Dove
6. House Martin
7. Red Rumped Swallow
8. Swallow
9. Blackboard
10. Great tit
11. Greenfinch
12. Goldfinch
13. Lesser Whitethroat
14. Blackcap
15. Jay
16. Magpie
17. Black Eared Wheatear
18. SHORT TOED EAGLE (New house tick) seen on 4 separate days at some distance
19. White Wagtail
20. Collared Flycatcher
21. Chiffchaf
22. Common Tern
23. Olivaceous Warbler
24. Great Cormorant
25. Scops Owl
26. Common Swift
27. Northern Wheatear
28. Mediterranean Gull
29. Spanish Sparrow
30. Alpine Swift

Won't be back out until October so no update to list until then

Last edited:
Surely one of the forms of Chionadoxa, also known as "Glory in Snow" for its habit of blooming very early in spring. We've got it all over the place too, we just call it by the generic latin name.

Think I've seen this flower or very similiar up high in mountains. The first few years here we were able to get up in the mountains almost every week from early spring to end of october. Saw largest variety of flowers in the spring.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back